Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SNMP - Juniper routing instance  (Read 2100 times)

SgtCornMuffin

• View Profile
SNMP - Juniper routing instance
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:35:50 am »
Hello!

Recently our juniper EX series switches have moved over to a different ISP provider requiring us to set up an "routing-instance" in our switches for the layer 3 traffic forwarding.

This means that the default root routing isnt at a play when speaking to our server LAN and therefore don't have access to our NeDi client.
On our loopback interface we have an MGMT-IP wich is connected to the routing-instance from wich nedi will pull SNMP from, the only change in NeDi is the added IP-Adresses in netfilter and the adding of the vlan in the community config, like before it was public, but now it is 100-Data@Public where 100-Data is the routing-instance.

I get the MiB information from the switches but in NeDi only the Vlans and Loopback interfaces shows up and i cant see LLDP neighbours.

This also leads to a rather unpleasant 100-Data@SYS-SW01 name.

Has anyone experienced this before and can tell me if the problem is in the NeDi config och the SNMP config on the equipment?

I would suspect that there is both work needing to be done to connect default/root routing to the routing-instance in regards of the LLDP function, but as for "system name" i dont know if it's possible to configure it to not display the name of the routing-instance from the equipment or if it can be "hacked" away from NeDi Conf.

And if you cant tell im quite new to NeDi, much applies!

SgtCornMuffin

• View Profile
Re: SNMP - Juniper routing instance
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:14:01 am »
Hi again, i think i found something looking at the .def files

If i compare the same switches, 1 that is with our 1 ISP and then the new One i can see that the MIB information is diifferent, and they are linked to the same definition file, i've had a look at the Defgen tutorial and been able to reconfigure som switches that appear as red ones, but should i wait until every office has moved over to the new ISP before changing the def file or can i link it to 2 different def files?

OLD-ISP:
mib-2.17.1.4.1.2.4096: 514

New-ISP:
SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.17.1.4.1.2.492: INTEGER: 526

Best regards
Andreas

SgtCornMuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:24 am »
Also discovery gives this message, in regard to line 1752

10.X.X.X     901-Data@SYS-SW  v8Ix i6 RuRu(lo0)Ri(vlan.911)Ri(vlan)Ri(vlan.101)Ri(lo0.0)Ri(vlan.901)Use of uninitialized value in exists at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 1743.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 1752.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 1752.

SgtCornMuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 02:36:56 pm »
SOLVED,

I've tought i might update here with the information.

When specifying RI@Community you only get the information from vlan and ports linked to this routing instance, wich in our case was non since it's linked via the default VLAN.

If specifying @Comunnity you get all the information without having to specify a routing-instance.. even-tough you can traverse via the routing-instance.

Referring to post below:
https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/58135

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 11:06:19 am »
Thanks for this information! It might be useful, when I get to Junipers again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:09:56 am by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo