Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why do some devices not track "last status change" of interfaces?  (Read 2350 times)

tristanbob

• View Profile
We love being able to view a network device in Nedi and see how long each of the ports have been in their current state.   This lets us find ports that have been down for over a year so that we know that we can reuse these ports.  However, we are starting to find some models of switches do not have anything in this field, just a "-".

I assume this must be caused by a missing or wrong entry in the .DEF file.   Which one is it? 

Thanks!

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Why do some devices not track "last status change" of interfaces?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:05:40 am »
It's not in the .def and it's ifLastChange, which is read in realtime. Therefore the switch needs to be active and the uptime available or you get the the '-'.

The problem is, this value is reset upon reboot. That's why I've added the Ethernet port icon in the status line. It shows available ports based on persistent discovery information...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:26 pm »
Thanks for the info!  I thought these switches were discovering correctly because the "Last Discover" was staying current. 

However, if I look at the "Device Status" page it has a red "Discover Outdated" and these are the switches with the blank "Last Status Change (Realtime)". 

I clicked the "Discover Now" button, and it discovers correctly, the "Discover Outdated" message goes away, and the interfaces show their Last Change.

Do you have idea on why this is happening, and how to prevent this?

Thanks!

Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »
Review the crontab entry and the discovery log (or Monitoring-Events). Either the wrong IP is seen by CDP/LLDP or it's not found at all. You could use something like nedi.pl -P1 -Aall to discover all devices in the DB if ping was successful...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo