Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DNS update for existing nodes  (Read 7581 times)

ascii

• View Profile
DNS update for existing nodes
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »
Hello together,

we recently changed our naming concept.
so now a lot of my nodes have a new DNS/Hostname.
Is there a way to force NeDi to update these Nodes.

the MAC und IP of the host is still the same so it's not a new/changed node for NeDi

best regards
ascii

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: DNS update for existing nodes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:31:23 pm »
It's tied to retire, meaning it'll force an update after "retire" days. You can lower it to get the update quicker, but this will affect other node related "timers" like deleting old nodes etc...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ascii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:15:40 am »
crap, i still need the "old" nodes.
once in a while they are looking for old devices that are offline but lost somewhere.
so deleting old nodes is not a option.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:09 am »
Ok, I got a solution. Enter this in in System-Export:

UPDATE nodes set ipupdate=0;

All nodes will update their IP/DNS in the next discovery. You can add a "WHERE lastseen > 1387562241" condition to limit it to newer nodes for example...

I'm gonna add this to the Maintenance options in System-Export.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ascii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:36:41 am »
thx that worked

i added these lines at System-Export.php Line 61
Code: [Select]
else if(document.forms['export'].exptbl.options[document.forms['export'].exptbl.selectedIndex].value=='noderet') {
document.forms['export'].query.value='UPDATE nodes set ipupdate=0 WHERE lastseen > <?= (time() - 2419200) ?>';
}

and at line 100
Code: [Select]
echo "<option value=\"noderet\"".($exptbl=="noderet"?" selected":"").">$reslbl DNS for active Nodes > 4Weeks</option>\n";
EDIT:
maybe it be a good idea to have a button in the Node-Status.php to reset the DNS
So that a single host can be resolved again
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:40:28 pm by ascii »

schindel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Hello together,

i'm new to NeDi. The installation seem to work. Now I'm testing various functions of NeDi. Here I noticed that the database structure has changed. I didn't found the field ipupdate in nodes, but it exists in iptracks and nodarp. Which field must i set to zero, if i want to use this maintenance function?

best regards

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
This should be fixed in the upcoming Patch 4. Will release it in the coming days....
-Remo

SchmuFoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:10 am »
[..]
EDIT:
maybe it be a good idea to have a button in the Node-Status.php to reset the DNS
So that a single host can be resolved again

Aggree  8)

SchmuFoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 12:18:12 pm »
i'm new to NeDi. The installation seem to work. Now I'm testing various functions of NeDi. Here I noticed that the database structure has changed. I didn't found the field ipupdate in nodes, but it exists in iptracks and nodarp. Which field must i set to zero, if i want to use this maintenance function?

System-Database.php -> Execute: Reset Address Update -> "UPDATE nodarp set ipupdate=0"

SchmuFoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 11:33:34 am »

System-Database.php -> Execute: Reset Address Update -> "UPDATE nodarp set ipupdate=0"

I tried that now several times but it didn't had any affect.

Still have multiple Nodes which have old DNS Names listed under Nodes-Status.php

When I do an dig/host on the NeDi Linux System, I got "NXDOMAIN" for that specific entries. So I dont know why NeDi is still mapping those old entrys  :-\

Even when I use the Nodes-Status.php?dip Feature to delete them, after Rediscovery of the Layer-3 Device, the old (in DNS not existing anymore) Entrys are coming back.

Any Ideas?