Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cisco backup config error  (Read 10084 times)

martynstar

• View Profile
Cisco backup config error
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:32:46 pm »
Hi all!

I am having a bit of an issue with backing up our cisco switches, the first time we run through after an initialising scan, discovery and then adding the usernames to backup the devices it seems to only backup 3 of the 5 devices.

We have then built another NEDI install, and its a different set of the 5 that can be backed up.
I am able to SSH to the device direct from nedi console, discovery via SNMP works fine, and the only error i get is

Matched 'Password: ' login failed

Over and over.

I have tried forcing it to use SSH and telnet and it seems to make no difference, they are exactly the same error.
I cannot get any input or output logs to populate in the file structure, I have followed the Youtube cli diagnostics from 2012? and still cannot see what on earth is going on.

The fact that the different installs, are not able to backup different switches, leads me to a fault in NEDI somewhere?

ascii

• View Profile
Re: Cisco backup config error
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:42:55 am »
could you please run
Code: [Select]
perl /var/nedi/nedi.pl -vvvkK -B0 -SAFGgsjmvpadobewitu -a IP-of-Switch
from the CLI and post the output

martynstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:12:25 am »
Testing posting, as im getting a security prompt everytime?

martynstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:13:40 am »
sorry was out of touch for a while!

From one server - you get this response, same username and passwords on both..
It seems like Nedi can only have 3switches the same model backed up!
So basically we have two servers, which one can backup a few switches and the other can backup the remaining ones.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 11:02:25 am »
I know this can be frustrating at times (and I should renew the CLI tutorial)...

If you add -dc the log files should be created, where you can exactly see what's sent and received. Try uncommenting only those credentials that are supposed to work on those devices (or log files get overwritten).

One scenario could be that the banner (or some other output) is interpreted as error. But this should be seen in the log as well.
I did improve this in 1.8, which will be public soon. So it might be worth the wait...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

martynstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:55 pm »
Thanks!

I really cant see any issues between the servers, they are not reporting any error just not able to backup more than 3 switches each, out of the 5. FYI they are running at different times.

Both servers are able to SNMP all 5 switches, but cannot login to all 5..

Server 1 - backs up 1,4 and 5 switches
Server 2 - backs up 2,3,4 switches

I select them all and they are all the same username,password and version, but one server can backup some the other can back up the other, but none can do all 5 in one go!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:00:33 am »
Did the SSH keys change on the switches and you have "known" set in nedi.conf? In that case you could simply update the keys with nedi.pl -kK ...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo