Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating amazingly cool network maps with Nedi!  (Read 3637 times)

tristanbob

• View Profile
Creating amazingly cool network maps with Nedi!
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
I have been having the time of my life playing with the new mapping capabilities inside Nedi.  I think many people don't understand how powerful they are, since it requires some tweaking to get results.

Here are some pointers to get you started:

Filter: (Used to restrict which devices are drawn on the map)

Here are some examples:

Device != ap   
(Hundreds of wireless access points (AP) can make a campus map too crowded, so don't display them.  This requires that you use "ap" in the name of your APs.)

Device = buildingname
(Great for getting a view of devices in one area)

Size and Format

I like to choose the biggest size that fits on my screen, which is currently "1920x1200".  If you want to use a custom size, you can manually edit the part of the URL for this.  For example: "&dim=1920x1920".

"SVG" format is great for a static map, that can be zoomed into using the browser's built in zoom function.

"JSON" is a REALLY fun output that is dynamic and interactive.  You will see the nodes bounce about trying to find the optimal design, and you can click and drag on nodes to make them move.

Map Type

We do not use customized SNMP location strings, so the only useful option for us here is "Devices" and "Flat".

Connection End

I can't figure out what "Connection" setting does, it doesn't seem to affect anything.  I do know that "Metric" is used to specify how spread apart the map will be.  Low numbers will make devices bunch up, and big numbers will spread everything apart.   (Note: These settings are ONLY used with the JSON format.)

Connection format

You can play with these, but I like the "Arc" and "Straight" lines the best.  "Length" is another setting used to specify how spread apart the map will be.  (Note: This setting does NOT have any affect when using the JSON format.)

Connection Information

This will add information about the links, such as link type (100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10Gbps) and link usage as percentage of the total link capacity.  (Note: This setting does NOT have any affect when using the JSON format.)

Node Configuration

This is probably my favorite feature of this tool.  I like to select "CPU Load" or "Tempurature".  This colors the devices based on the values of those sensors.  For example, Red devices have High CPU or High Temp.  "Image Large" can be used to show your manager what devices are on your network.   

Conclusion

Those are all the settings I use.  What settings do you use?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:56:56 PM by tristanbob »
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Creating amazingly cool network maps with Nedi!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Good post! I'll add more resolutions in the next version, however you can modify the URL manually and bookmark it to create any resolution maps you want.

Metric only applies to json maps. It defines the "strength" or gravity of how nodes attract each other. It's used to position the interface labels on the link, if png or svg is used...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
Re: Creating amazingly cool network maps with Nedi!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »
Thanks for the information Remo!  I have updated my post with the updates.
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!