Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: snmpdev  (Read 1137 times)

mduling

• View Profile
snmpdev
« on: March 10, 2023, 02:46:58 am »
I just installed a fresh version of current nedi. I don't think I've ever gotten nosnmpdev to work. On discovery I'm getting SNMP failed messages on unmanaged devices identified as:

TSW-
axis-
Brightsign

and such. I set my a nosnmpdev string that I thought should work, but it doesn't.

nosnmpdev       IP\s(Phone|Telephone)|AIR-([CL]|A)P|BrightSign|axis-|TSW-1060|AM3

What am I doing wrong?

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: snmpdev
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:59:23 am »
Is that part of the device type or description? If so, it really should work unless it doesn't match that.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 10:10:32 pm »
Maybe I don't understand how nosnmpdev works. I assumed it was to recognize the names of nodes via CDP/LLDP to not try to walk with snmp so we wouldn't see all the "SNMP failed" and associated timeouts slowing down discovery. But maybe the purpose of nosnmpdev is not to put those devices in the mysql database?

I do want the MAC/IP/OUI of nodes that I don't know the SNMP string of to be in the database, I just don't want the SNMP timeouts slowing down the discovery.

Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks!

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:39:40 am »
Ok I figured it out. I assumed the text displayed during the discovery run was the system name or whatever I needed to match. But it isn't necessarily. For each device type that gave snmp timeouts I did an 'show lldp neighbor detail' and used part of the device description and it works. But the name may be very different from what the discovery script shows.

Westy_87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 05:48:01 am »
Just want to say thanks. This has bugged me for ages. We have a lot of Polycom devices that were still being scheduled for discovery and showing up in logs as 'Device ID SEP........' so I had tried adding SEP to the nosnmpdev list but it did nothing.

Went and checked lldp descriptions and added those, which stopped some but not all. Then I realised some were doing cdp as well as lldp so I had to add the cdp 'Platform' description.

This is how it looks now

nosnmpdev   IP\s(Phone|Telephone)|Poly|Trio|Desk Pro|Kronos