Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discovery of POE  (Read 4629 times)

ablkshrt1

Discovery of POE
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
I am having an issue with the discovery of POE on some switches.

In my nedi.conf I have POE set to IFMib, and it only discovers one particular model of POE switch.

If I set it to disprot, I get all the other types of POE switch. 

Would I be best off finding the ones that don't report under IFMib and then modifying the Def files to include IFpowr and IFpwix OIDs for those models (think those are right).  Or would it be better to find out why one type of switch doesn't report under disprot setting?

Thanks

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Discovery of POE
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Because Cisco changed (intentionally or not) the PoE info in CDP, I've added the ifmib option. This of course also works on other PoE switches like 3Com, allowing to get most accurate values especially in heterogeneous networks. Thus I'd go for your 1st suggestion and fix the .defs (and hopefully share your findings here). Most likely you'll need the stack-mib for the indexes as discussed in other topics...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ablkshrt1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Ok, so I modified the .def files for the non-reporting POE switch models with the following values

IFpowr   1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.402.1.2.1.7.1
IFpwix   1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.11.1

Those were inserted in the interfaces section of the .def file.

I found that some POE models .def files already had at least one of these values in there (although they were different) I replaced those values with the ones above, and now I am getting reporting from all of my POE switches except for 3. 

The 3 that aren't reporting are the same models as other POE switches that are now reporting, so I did some digging around and I found they are running different IOS versions.  I am going to upgrade the IOS on those 3 and see if it resolves my problem.

This fix got my 50 out of 53 POE switches reporting power instead of the 6 I was getting before.  Hope to soon have all 53 reporting.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
To revive this topic, does anyone find this working (no .1 at the end)?

IFpwix   1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.11

I'm just wondering, if this is an obsolete OID or if both are still in use. Some .defs would need to be adjusted, if it's obsolete indeed...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

cmesser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
I use this combination (no .1 at the end):

IFpowr  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.402.1.2.1.7
IFpwix  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.11

in WS-C3750. This can walk over the stack.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
Could you post some entries?
-Remo

cmesser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
??

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
I meant some entries, when you walk that MIB :)
-Remo

cmesser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Hi,

this data is out of that result window when I do a test walk over "IF Power" in the definition generator.
The device is a stack of three 3750X, but only switch 2 and 3 are PoE devices.
I hope this is the info you ask for    :)

Christoph

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
Ah interesting. I also noticed the 15.4W and not the actual used power on a 3560 too bad...

But I'd also like to see the Power Index values. Could you do that?
-Remo

cmesser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Hi Remo,

I'm fine with the requested power and not the realy used one, because I'm quite sure that the switches
uses this for calculating the maximum power before not providing an additional port with power. This is especially
interesting on switches with no "full power" power supplies.
I think the real used power is only for academic interest. I hope no one is crazy enough to charge this in detail  ;)

I attach the index....

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:31:53 AM »
Great that's very helpful, tx!

Well, most of our switches offer 370W of PoE. Most phones use less than 7W for real. So I think it'd be nice to be able to monitor actual values.
-Remo