Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discovery Questions  (Read 2156 times)

ablkshrt1

Discovery Questions
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
I have a few questions about how this fantastic program works.  Mostly because I need to be able to explain it to my coworkers and boss.

Discovery works for me by using SSH, SNMP and CDP.  I understand how the switch discovery works, but I don't understand how it keeps devices up-to-date.  For instance, I am auditing all the switches on my network and have had to rename a few of them.  This has resulted in duplicate entries in Nedi.  Shouldn't Nedi see the name change and update the record.

How does the Node discovery work? Why on 1st run does Nedi take 180 minutes and on all subsequent runs it takes just 10 minutes.  How can I be sure that nodes are being kept up to date?

I am sure that I will have more questions, but that's it for now.  Many thanks.

tristanbob

• View Profile
Re: Discovery Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
I'm not sure if Remo has documented this somewhere else, but I'll try to provide some info.

1) Nedi uses the device name as the primary-key in the "devices" table.  That is why when you change device names, Nedi thinks it is a new device.  I wish Nedi would use serial numbers for the primary-key, but Remo had a reason why this wouldn't work.  Perhaps things have changed and he can make this change?  (/me crosses fingers)

2) What options are you using when running Nedi?  ./nedi.pl
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

ablkshrt1

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
Ok, that makes sense.  It was easy enough to sort out and remove the old duplicates.

For my options I am using -poF

we use the last two octets of the IP address in our switch names (DCA210-25.200 for example) thus the need for the F option

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »
I know SN would be much better, but unfortunately hard to rely on in heterogeneous networks, which NeDi was designed for. With other projects using NeDi as a collector, this topic keeps coming up and maybe good alternative will be found eventually...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo