Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Printer Toner  (Read 3165 times)

clakomy

• View Profile
Printer Toner
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:08 PM »
Rickli,
    It has been a while since I communicated with you and hope all is well. You may not recall, but I use NeDi to monitor over 1,000 network devices that support the US Tennis Open every year. This year, we are looking to also monitor a large number of HP and Xerox printers as well. I'm looking for toner levels and to receive syslog traps regarding paper jams and such. I do recall you writing something a while back about supporting printers, but I cannot recall. Is this something that can be done and if so what would I need to do. I have already added 10 printers in the seedlist file along with the community string, but so far nothing.
    As always, your assistance is always welcomed and much appreciated.

Regards,
-Carlos Lakomy

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Printer Toner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
Have a look at 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.1.def. It also shows how to graph the amount of printed pages. I calculate the supplies level by dividing the results of module hw/fw. No notification on that yet, but I'm open for discussion ;)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

rufer

Re: Printer Toner
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
I don't know exactly what Nedi can do, but a monitoring application should be capable to query SNMP OIDs and alert if the return value is out of range. We do this with (big) business printers. I honestly don't know exactly how it works, but it works (sends alert with the type of problem, ex paper jam or empty supplies). But we don't use Nedi for this at the moment.

Greetings
Rufer