Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discovery querry - scanning nodes.  (Read 2517 times)

pht-network

Discovery querry - scanning nodes.
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Hi there,

I'm quite new to Nedi and think it's really good tool. The main reason i'm using Nedi is it's probably the best product that draws the network and it's links very well.

I'm have a question about discovery as we have about 600 cisco devices in total that i'm slowly populating on to the Nedi map.

I got to the stage that one of our sites was almost full populated and i had a problem with a VSS in which i created a def file (with help from your forum) Once i created the def it would then start showing devices that was connected to it.

Once i did that and Nedi tried to do its discovery overnight. It basically killed the database, we couldn't log into nedi and i had to get our system guy to re-install nedi and start again. This has now happened three times and it has done this every time once i created the def file for the VSS.

I think the issue is the discovery is discovering all pc's printers, etc on our network. Is there a way to not discovery these and also a way to only discovery certain subnets/ IP address of our switch management address to stop this from crashing/making the database to big?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Greg

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Discovery querry - scanning nodes.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
Hi, good to know the mapping is being used. Feel free to upload some nice maps to the gallery!

Of course I'd like to know why nedi crashes! (Rather than avoiding nodes discovery, which can be done with 1oh6 now). Does it crash every time or just sporadically? In the latter case, you can run it from crontab like this:

#0 0 * * *      /var/nedi/nedi.pl -vp > /tmp/nedi-00.lastrun 2>&1

Now you can closely examine what goes wrong...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo