Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: issues with LLDP  (Read 3760 times)

uwe

issues with LLDP
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
Hello,

I have been using nedi for a while, alongside with other tools, but i never had real luck with LLDP (we have mostly HP and cisco switches), until i "forced" nedi today to use LLDP as the discovery protocol by hardcoding it in sub Discover :
Code: [Select]
&snmp::DisProtocol($name,$_[0],"LLDP");and it works ! So ill try to fiddle more why is that happening (i am assuming its due to sysobj files, which brings the second issue!), now i have a cisco switch the supports both CDP and LLDP, but in sysobj, it seems the definitions can only be either this or that, is there a workaround for that ?

Thanks for this great piece of software!

oxo

Re: issues with LLDP
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
The issue of combined LLDP and CDP has been raised in http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=621.0
So I'm glad I'm not the only  one :)

uwe

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
Well, i did a little workaround ... im not sure it doesnt break anything or not, and its not the best approach since it depends on disocvery protocl defined in .def files, in inc/libsnmp.pl , change the lines that check whether the protocol is 'LLDP' or 'CDP' to something like this:

Code: [Select]
@lastthing=@_;

if ('LLDP' =~ m/$lastthing[2]/){

instead of the $_[2] eq 'LLDP' check, and do not forget to convert the elseif for the other discovery protocols to into if to get all protocols checked which match the $_[2] ;

and in the def files, set the value to something like LLDP|CDP

oxo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
exactly  ;D

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
Can someone check, whether a LLDP capable Cisco device solely stores LLDP neighbors in 1.0.8802.1.1.2.1.4.1.1 and not 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.23.1.2.1.1?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

uwe

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »
from what i see, LLDP entries are in 1.0.8802.1.1.2.1.4.1.1 only, devices supporting both LLDP and CDP are in both . this is from a Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
Ah I see, oxo's suggestion definitely makes sense then. I'll look into it...tx uwe
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo