Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there a guide or manual?  (Read 6511 times)

lschafroth

Is there a guide or manual?
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
I have the nedio45 iso installed and finally figured out how to get past the infinite install loop where it keeps asking for the packages and cdrom to install from. I finally said done and it asked if I was sure and I said yes even though it warned me about bsd.pm or something and it finally worked.

I edited nedi.conf and put in our snmp info and login on our cisco switches. We do not allow telnet, jut ssh to our switches.  I ran ./nedi.pl and it found our core switch and now it's just sitting there.  Is it doing anything?

Where is the manual showing every option in the gui?  I'm a newbie and need help.

I need to use nedi to document our cisco network and monitor/troubleshoot bandwidth and etc through the interfaces and between buildings.

Lannie

lschafroth

Re: Is there a guide or manual?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »
I found the verbose command and I cancelled the first run of nedi.pl and ran it with the -p -v options and now I can see what it is doing.

Do I still need to add it to the cron to schedule it?  I want to be able to see bandwidth used. I know in cacti this is done every 5 minutes. Do I schedule that?

Lannie

lschafroth

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
I have 46 devices.  Most of which are cisco wireless access points.
The cron examples still show the -c paramter which is no longer valid.

How would I setup a cronjob to monitor my bandwidth as often as possible without interrupting or degrading any performance on the switches?

I have a few cisco 3750 stacks of about 4 switches each that are all full, the rest or jut normal 48 port 3750's or 3500's.

I'm a unix newbie so help me design a cron/schedule for my setup.

Thanks!!

Lannie

PS I know I've posted all my WANTS so far, I do LOVE the product so far so keep up the awesome work.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
No worries, I'd also be very eager to get that thing up and running  ;)

5 Minute graphs with around 50 devices are on a tight schedule! You can run concurrent discoveries, but I wouldn't recommend it to get 5 min graphs. OXO is working on an optimized version, which allows for such graphs...

A few pointers:
  • Are the APs lightweight? If so, treat them as nosnmpdev
  • Did you use the GUI to edit nedi.conf and crontab? (I thought, I corrected the -c leftovers)
  • If everything is configured properly, make a test run and not the time. I'd schedule cron with lots of slack (e.g. double the discovery time) and set rrdstep accordingly (let's say you go for 15 min, use 900 as rrdstep). Then initialze to delete the graphs and let cron do the rest...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

lschafroth

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:27 PM »
I did all the editing from the gui.  I changed the nedi.conf and check the lastrun.

So I should set the cron to run maybe every 1/2 hour but set the rrdtool to run every 5 minutes?  Or 15 minutes?

When it first ran I saw all the graphs and it was exactly what I wanted.  Then I fixed the permissions and now the graphs are gone.  The first ./nedi.pl was run from root.  Thats when things looked ok.  Then I ran it from the gui and thats when I saw the permission denied.

Do I need to wipe the system and start over and only use the gui to make changes?

I've messed something up.  Graphs are the main reason I wanted this and now they dont show.

Lannie

lschafroth

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
I tried the ./nedi.pl -i option but it is asking for the mysql root username and password. Since this is a iso image, what would those credentials be?

Lannie

lschafroth

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
I reinstalled from scratch and ran the initial scan from the gui and now everything works!!

Now I just need clarification:

I would like to update the graphs as often as possible.  The full scan takes about 4 minutes so that is pushing the limit for a 5 minute window.

In the cronjob, how often should I run the ./nedi.pl -poB and the normal ./nedi.pl -po?

What should I have the rrdtool set to in nedi.conf?

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Lannie

lschafroth

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »
I noticed the only thing I have for graphs is memory, cpu and etc.  How do I show the bandwidth being used by the backbone ports and etc?

Lannie

DISREGARD: Found the graphs!  Is there a way to make a custom webpage that I can have a drawing of my backbones and the bandwidth graphs in them?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:05:16 PM by lschafroth »

oxo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:33:39 PM »
OXO is working on an optimized version, which allows for such graphs...
How does 60 sec for 150 devices for graphs and 6 min for a "full" nedi run sound?
snmp bridgefwd and no backup of configs
- with bugs of course :)

lschafroth

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »
How does 60 sec for 150 devices for graphs and 6 min for a "full" nedi run sound?
snmp bridgefwd and no backup of configs
- with bugs of course :)

WOW that is fast! :)

Lannie