Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SNMP Locations  (Read 3448 times)

isc

SNMP Locations
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »
Hello

I have a little remark. I was just trying configure the maps. I think it is a nice idea that you get the location from the snmp location string, but I think it would be better if the map would take the snmp location string from a mysql table where you can import the snmp locations of the devices (if you want).

So you can filter and change the locations stored in the table. I would recommend that, because now its not possible to filter snmp locations (if you want to) and if you have router or switches in your network where you cant change the snmp location but you still want to monitor you will have automatic generated on your maps ...

kind regards, isc

oxo

Re: SNMP Locations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
I have the same wish (I usually hack the fix into the released NeDi)

The problem is that if one wants to use NeDi's nice location functions, it means that one has to either:
- change all the sysLocations: and find out one doesn't like the result and have to change them again
- don't use NeDi's nice location functions: this is a shame ( and I usually hate GUI's )

As I said, I usually hack the code and allow for the possibility of not updating the DB's location, but rather save in another value for sysLocation.
( Priming location from sysLocation is a "simple" MySQL script ... )

rufer

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »
I personally think it is good how it is. The only correct inventory is the one polled from the network.

If you want to "filter out" wrong locations, you can still make a script that runs on the Nedi database after each discovery run. ex.
Code: [Select]
update devices set location='correct.location.string' where name='somedevice';

Another idea would be to add a discovery filter based on sysContact. So I only discover "my" devices.

Greetings
Rufer

oxo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
Another idea would be to add a discovery filter based on sysContact. So I only discover "my" devices.
Good idea

isc

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »
If you want to "filter out" wrong locations, you can still make a script that runs on the Nedi database after each discovery run. ex.
Code: [Select]
update devices set location='correct.location.string' where name='somedevice';

Yes that's a good idea, but you need to save somewhere the name with the location string that matches. You can do that in a txt file but it would look much better in a mysql table. And if we already make a mysql table, why not use that new table for the location? So the column location.device actually shows whats written in the config and the location.map (or whatever) would show the location we actually want. And if you wanna change it, you just have to change the location.map table and not the Script ..

Good idea
But with that you don't have the devices at all, or am I wrong?