Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Questions and Discovery Problems ...  (Read 3237 times)

isc

Some Questions and Discovery Problems ...
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Heya

First I wanna tell you that I (our better we) really like NeDi. We think it is very business orientated and we are looking forward to use it in our company.

I have successfully installed and configurated the most important things.

At the moment NeDi tells me that we have ... :

Took 103 minutes

Devs:   149 devices discovered
Link:   4621 links (ignoring 0 static) written to nedi.links
Node:   3856 nodes read from nedi.nodes
Node:   2042 IP and 1239 non-IP nodes processed
Track:  2 IP and 7 IF changes detected
Node:   3869 nodes written to nedi.nodes

The first thing we did was to filter (netfilter in the config) 2 networks where all the ipPhones are in. With a new seedlist and CDP Discovery we should be able to find all devices we have. I guess with links you mean connections to another network machine?!

well, I did some calculating ...   :)

full time: 103min = 6180s
average time per switch/router: 6180s/149 = ~41s
average ports in use (links) per switch/router: 4621/149 = ~31 Active Ports per switch (could be realistic)

Now that means we need 41s for a switch with 31 neighbors. Isn't that a bit too long? I'm just insecure because I don't have any numbers I can compare with.

Moreover NeDi found 4621 Links .. but we just have 3856 Nodes (Printer,WS,Server,ipPhones) and 149 Devices (Switches, Router) so where are the other 616 Links coming from? May I have forgotten something?

Where is the nedi.links and the nedi.nodes  ???

I thought I can lower the discovery time by starting multiple nedi.pl processes with different netfilters. But that would be a more or less big administrative Job to do. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that isn't the best solution because I don't think netfilter is made for that. So what else can I do to lower the time?

I'm going to dump and sniff what NeDi exactly does when it needs ~60s for discovering 1 Device. I'm gonna post that later, so maybe it is possible to find a wrong configuration somewhere ...

thanks for the tool so far!

isc

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Some Questions and Discovery Problems ...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
Hello & thanks for the feeback! Did you see how long a discovery takes in NeDi's "home network"? It's less than 20 minutes for 300 odd devices! I think your network is much more spreadout across the canton, right? This certainly would take longer, but I would expect it to be faster. And  4k links sounds definitely dodgy to me  ;)

With the upcoming 1oh5 you can do parallel runs now, but I'd rather use border and different seedlists to control the runs...

That said, I'd look at the links first as you pointed out. Besides node links are not counted here! I can help you, if you provide more information. You can contact me personally, if you prefer...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:36:32 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

isc

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
Well thank you for your hint, I changed the script so NeDi doesnt try to get some information with inc/libweb.pl
But I dont understand why our Cisco IpPhones get discovered as devices. I changed the descfilter and added the name and model of the ipphone like I see it in NeDi, but they are still devices ...

But the NeDi Discovery tells me it found ~500 Device ... so why do I see the IpPhones as Device? Do I need to initiate the Database?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:04:48 PM by isc »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
descfilter only works on snmp. You're right, if nosnmpdev matches they'll end up in the DB. It could make sense to factor in descfilter or even border...I'll give it some thought :)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

isc

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
btw. we changed some timeout settings and use the -I option because of a configuration on our cisco switches and router.

we have atm. 500 device in 34min