Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrade Nedi--Newbie Question  (Read 3876 times)

bigguy

Upgrade Nedi--Newbie Question
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »
Hi, all:
I am pretty new to this.
We have Nedi version 1.00. Our system is Lynx. I'd like to upgrade to the newer version. my question is how does the upgrade work?
You just simply unzip the file(nedi-1.0.4.tgz) and put into NEDI directory? or you have to reconfigure certain files?
thanks!
Han
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:37:12 PM by bigguy »

gumba

Re: Upgrade Nedi--Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
You've at least to modify your NeDi database, since its layout has changed with version 1.0.4. Have a look at the following threads:
http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=482.0
http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=478.0
and at the Installation and Database forums in general.

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
So some people are saying an upgrade from 1.0 to 1.05 can be done, and others say not (http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=523.msg2200#msg2200) completely.  I'm wondering whether I can keep my old data too or whether I need to start from scratch.

gumba

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
I also would suggest a clean installation of NeDi 1.0.5, but you can keep your data by backing up your DB and reimporting the data aftrer having reinitialized. However, you have to pay attention to the changes made to the DB layout since 1.0. I've written some SQL script to convert at least the user and stock table to the new format before dumping them, so these data can be put to the new DB easily. If you need to kkep data other than that, have a look at what else has changed to adjust for your reimport. See the links I provided in the previous post.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
I understand upgrading is a confusing part and I'm sorry I don't have time to provide an easy way. Here are a few pointers though:

As I mentioned in the documentation, it's nearly impossible to test every possible situation. Therefore I'd upgrade with a new host and leave the old one (with discovery disabled) in place for a while until you're sure everything works well. If you can't afford another host, move the existing nedi files to another folder and create a new DB, with that you have an easy rollback for the worst case. This is just for the paranoid, as I try my best to avoid such situations of course  ;)

First of all what's important? If you manage your stock and use monitoring, those are certainly the most important tables to preserve. The locations and stolen tables haven't changed. The user mgmt was reworked in 1.0.4, so they can be dumped and restored as they are. Everything else will be more or less recreated over time.

In the progress of 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 I've added a column called delay to monitoring and source to stock (which is ment for tracking the reseller of the equipment). The simplest way to preserve your stock would be to add this column and dump the table in the CLI:
  • mysql nedi -u nedi -p
  • ALTER TABLE stock add source VARCHAR(32);
  • mysqldump nedi stock -u nedi -p > stock.sql
  • On the new system: cat stock.sql | mysql nedi stock -u nedi -p

Just keep in mind, upgrading NeDi is not only restricted to DB changes. The config file should be carefully reviewed for changes as well. I've also optimized RRDs and added new graphs to the top.rrd (delete it, in case you get errors).
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo