Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: errors and messages  (Read 2555 times)

shadowcaster

errors and messages
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
Hi.
After a long time of extensive usage of nedi I have come to an idea how to make messages and monitoring really useful in really large networks.
In large network you will get a lot of messages and warnings that should be considered exeptions and not displayed and recorded to database, because they are impossible to fix.
Idea is to add mysql table with filtering rules and some elements to intefrace to manage them. I will list some cases I have come into, if anyone had other cases - please, feel free to add.
1) I am excluding some interface from interface-traffic tables in health page. Currently, these are ^Tu.[0-9] interfaces - MPLS tunnels. This virtual interfaces report their speed as 9600 baud, and as far as they are build over multi-gigabit links, they allways overflow. Serial interfaces on AS-es with speed like 64K allways loaded at 100% - they can be excluded by rule like" device name regex and interface name regex".
2) Some messages should be ignored during discovery. Example: source: ip, message: has no name, not discoverable - it would great to have a button to add this particular element to exeptions  as fas as this device is not managed by me, but it must be visible by cdp for diagnostics.
By adding such functionality number of message can be greatly reduced, because I usually see same messages over and over during every discovery cycle.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: errors and messages
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »
Hello and thanks for your input. Coincidently I'm working on a per device message level and regexp to trigger an alert. A lot of people like to get all messages in case they're needed for debugging at some point. I'll think about your suggestion though...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

mirec

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
Hi, when we are by the messages, we use on our academy network port-security violation restrict and by every violation is a email notification sent, sometimes there are 200 and more violations so it feels like spam :) could something be done about it that it notify it another way ?

PS Violations column could be implemented to the reports too

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »
What severity level is used within NeDi? 0,1 and 2 from syslog are translated to 200 by default...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

mirec

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:24 PM »
Port violations:
5584: Aug 24 19:17:58.663: PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address aabb.ccdd.eeff on port FastEthernet0/9, which are Critical level 2, Critical condition messages