Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problems with discovery  (Read 3275 times)

treilley

Problems with discovery
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
I cannot even get manual discovery to see anything using nedi.pl -a.  It returns nothing.  Can anyone help with where to start looking?  I have my Cisco router(my default GW) set with the correct community string and server values.

When I try a different device(an ASA) I get "No name, not discoverable"

It has an entry in the DNS and the GUI resolves it when I do a lookup.

Thanks
T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:23:38 PM by treilley »

treilley

Re: Problems with discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
I am able to get to the devices with snmpwalk and getif.

rufer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »
Looks like your device doesn't have a DEF file so nedi can't discover it properly.
I wouldn't start discovery with an ASA anyway, better try a router or switch somewhere in the core.

Greetings
Rufer

treilley

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »
Thanks Rufer but since then I have also tried discovery on my 4510 core switch, a 2811 router and a 3550 switch.  I get the same results.  I think those devices are in the default DEF file(C:\var\NeDi\sysobj folder).  If not, where do I find a DEF file.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
Why do you use -a? Check with -h what it does...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

treilley

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
???  Is not -a the argument to specify a specific address you want to scan?  That is what -h tells me.  I am fairly good with the options now as I had to learn why the original instructions did not work.  Either way with or without arguments I get no responses from any of my devices when other snmp based utilities work fine.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
 Try it while capturing the traffic. Do you see snmp packet going to the right device using the right community and version?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo