Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nedi with SNMP PCs  (Read 2853 times)

Sampson Fung

Nedi with SNMP PCs
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
I have Nedi discovering my network devices.

It encounters a lot of Computers during the process.

I have setup SNMP strings in some PC (sames as in those switches).

What can Nedi discovery from those SNMP PCs?

I am looking for Hardware inventory side.

Or, which OpenSource tools I should use to discover PCs.

Thanks a lot!

kierberger

Re: Nedi with SNMP PCs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »
Nedi is mainly for network management and for this purpose the best Ive ever seen, if you need an inventory or asset tool you have to google for "WMI", "asset" or "inventory". If you have windows pcs you will be lucky with a agentless WMI tool. But if you have to administer a lot of pcs you should consider to try a commercial tool.

josef

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »
You could create a .def file for the sysobj IDs of your PCs. Yes NeDi was originally designed for network devices (and thanks for the statement kierberger  ;D), but it's open architecture allows for supporting virtually any SNMP device (as the preliminary printer support shows as well)...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Sampson Fung

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:37 AM »
Any quick pointers on how to create DEF files?

As my network mainly using Dell Server, and more or less similar models.  I want to try.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
It's a bit outdated, but should still show the basics. Now you can show the sysobj column in Devices List, which will take you to the defgen directly. Since 1.0.4 the folder sysob in html/log will be used to look for existing configs as well (simply use a softlink to the real sysobj):
http://www.nedi.ch/tutor:other-defgen

Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo