Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: some Cisco defs  (Read 4779 times)

steffen1

some Cisco defs
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:14:54 PM »
Hello,

attached some additional defs for Cisco
C870, CE510, ASA, C1700, CE510(serial number only, cant discover more, sorry).

Nice, that NeDi is back again :) Im looking forward for parallel discovering, the networks are getting larger

Steffen

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: some Cisco defs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
Thanks & BTW I prefer attachements, cauz I don't have to fix the tabs...
Between us, I think about more efficient alternatives than parallel discovery...but we'll see  ??? ;)

Can you check 836 (alias works with IOS12.4) and ASA5520 against yours? As I don't have such boxes, I can't verify which OIDs are accessible for real  :(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:25:15 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

steffen1

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
Hello Remo,

sorry for delay, has been at holiday. :)

I did all the def-Files in the zip based on Nedi-v1.0/2008 definitions either there was no existing def-file or to improve and fix existing ones. Each OID in the def-file at this zip has been working at the last customer network I provided with monitoring and managent.

Cisco-ASA: not the HW is the T-breaker - its the same is it either a Pix or whatever ASA-Box - but the SW-release
that has to support MIBs is essential, e.g. between v7.0 and 7.1 is a big difference (most interesting ressource metrics are located at the CISCO-UNIFIED-FIREWALL-MIB that does not exist before v7.1)
ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/pix/pix-supportlist.html

C836: I checked the xls-Export from this network, yes all C836-Images has v12.4.10. So I cant say it is working with none v12.4 C836, but it can, perhaps ... ???

Unfortionaly I'm just a consultent with no own equipment (except some old boxes in our lab that has been included in the standard package anyway), doing network management implementions for customers. So I cant check quickly back against real equipment and I have to wait for the next project to can compare and improve def-files with real systems.

Steffen

Between us, could multithreading be an concurrent discovery alternative for you? Has read the exciting forum discussion about this topic. :o

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
Hi Steffen

For what it's worth I'll reply now (better late than never)  ;)

I've been gearing the development towards multi threading, but I'm not sure this really where it should go. Of course it can't harm to have the choice some day, but it's not my intension to make NeDi a noisy & bloated tool, which spams the network with SNMP traffic...

I'll therefore look at more advanced options (ie sflow) in order to achieve or even excel this goal...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

steffen1

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Hi Remo,

I see multi threading as one method to speed up the discovering and to make management of networks >1500 nodes with NeDi realizable not to make it more noisy.

Netflow/SFlow: are NfSen and nTop not be very good open source tools for that even so as NeDi for network management. :)

Steffen

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:41 AM »
Yes, but sFlow could be leveraged to assign nodes to interfaces AND use traffic statistics at the same time for graphs etc. This way you wont have to walk every related mib manually, hence no need for multithreaded discovery (Which is far more noisy than a single thread once in while).,,
-Remo