Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Switch discovery load a lot the CPU(switch)  (Read 4150 times)

Falcon8484

Switch discovery load a lot the CPU(switch)
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »
Hi !

I'm trying to light my discovery because NeDi load my switch CPU ! The normal usage is 8% with the discovery he fly to 70% !

I found that NeDi take a wild trying to match MAC adress of all my network and Vlan... There's a solution to match the MAC adress with Vlan for just the one behind my switch ?

Thanks for your help

rufer

Re: Switch discovery load a lot the CPU(switch)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »
What model of switch?
I never had such a problem with Cisco Catalyst.

Greetings
Rufer

Falcon8484

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »
It's a Cisco Catalyse 3750...

I wasn't expecting that ! Do you have a idea ?

Thanks

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
How many vlans do you have configured on that thing?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Falcon8484

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »
We have 200 Vlans ... Do you thing it's the reason ?

In Nedi it show 8% but we I check the value directly on the switch it goes up to 70% (by Sabbix)... I saw NeDi take most of the time, matched the MAC address with the Vlan... 

rufer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »
Which IOS version do you have? The old 3750 IOS are quite buggy.
So the CPU usage goes up to 70% momentarly when Nedi discovers the switch? I wouldn't worry too much about that, after your first post I thought that it is on 70% all time. Read the Cisco release notes for your IOS, often it is noted that SNMP can consume a lot of CPU. But at least with current IOS this doesn't degrade switch performance.

If you really worry about this, add a custom rate limiter for SNMP packets (but this will probably slow down Nedi discovery).

Greetings
Rufer

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
The problem is in order to read forwarding tables on Cisco switches NeDi needs to do something calle vlan community indexing. Effectively NeDi walks the forwarding mib with each vlan appended to the community (e.g. public@1, public@2 and so forth) in order to collect all nodes. You typically see a lot of warnings related to empty forwarding tables in this case as well.

Because of this I implemented the CLI alternative for getting forwarding tables. NeDi then uses telnet or SSH to get the info via CLI. As I just got a donation in regards to this topic I'm going to write some more documentation here:http://www.nedi.ch/doku.php?id=discovery:discovery
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:06:32 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo