Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Feasible for NeDi to track HP printer information?  (Read 14450 times)

mduling

• View Profile
Feasible for NeDi to track HP printer information?
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Would it be feasible for NeDi to have a feature that tracked HP network printers, so that it could have a few key graphs of printer info?  Perhaps a Node => Printers
or something such that pages printed, toner level, etc. would be listed, as are the 3 Cisco graphs (mem, temp, cpu) are for devices.

Not sure if this is feasible, or if so if it would dilute the focus of NeDi, but I'm curious.  Thanks!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Feasible for NeDi to track HP printer information?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
It wold definitely not be NeDi's focus to monitor printers, but on the other hand....amazing potential! As I work for (kind of) a printer company now it even makes sense  ::)

You'll only need to find the proper OIDs, add Hewlett to ouidev and make sure descfilter plays along as well and off you go. You can even monitor the printers then, have them send syslog messages to NeDi (if they can do that) or show printers on maps. The more I think about it the more I like the idea, as this would broaden NeDi's clientbase to printadmins as well! Hmm, a NeDi-PRT edition falls into mind...

My 4000N doesn't seem to be that good with SNMP but at least I could specify a syslog host:

Code: [Select]
  ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
Firmware Rev. : G.07.17
MAC Address : 00:60:b0:f3:f7:bb
Config By : USER SPECIFIED

IP Address : 10.10.10.20
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 10.10.10.1
Syslog Server : 10.10.10.11
Idle Timeout : 90 Seconds
Set Cmnty Name : Not Specified
Host Name : HERMES

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:47:51 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
I'll look into the OIDs.  I assume only you would be able to do the coding for querying the OIDs and graphing them, correct?  Major job ... er I mean donation?  :)

Would work like this - poll for say 6 OIDs (if that many are useful) and graph say 3 (if only three are graph-worthy)?  I'm having a hard time picturing how this would look exactly.

rufer

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:23 AM »
You could already do something with existing nedi code.

Just add the 3 (4) interesting OID under the DEF file graph OID (instead of CPU/mem/temp). Check the MIBs of the printer for other interesting stuff like serial number etc and add that to the DEF file as well.
I do that for other devices as well.

Greetings
Rufer

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
Ah I see, I'll look into that.  Thanks.  I had forgotten about the sysoids.  NeDi is awesome.

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:50:36 PM »
Okay wait a second.  The sysobj definitions "RRD graphing" section seems not general enough for non-switch/router devices.  For example, the items defined there are not combined into one graph and hard-coded to be type COUNTER.  It would be nice if that were generalized.  Here's an idea.

Have the "RRD graphing section" expanded to contain a discrete graphs (default)/ combined graphs decision and a COUNTER / GAUGE (default) decision.  That would allow for a lot more flexibility for non-cisco devices that is needed.  For printers, say toner levels for green/blue/red/whatever in the same graph as an example for combined graphs (and type GAUGE), and say page count as an example of type COUNTER (combined or discrete).

What do you think?

rufer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
This could be indeed useful for some special cases.
On the other hand, I understand that Remo tries to keep it as "simple and stupid" as possible.

Greetings
Rufer

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
Rufer's statement is my credo, as there's enough complex stuff out there  ;)

Anyhow, not all rrds are counters. Just look at the system rrds...but maybe I didn't quite get what you ment. But why focus on graphs? This is NeDi not Cacti  ;) I had a go at "expanding" Device-Status for print supplies (see attached). It would be easy to generate a report of top empty toners etc. While I want to keep NeDi's main focus on network devices, this would be an interesting benefit for more general IT admins (pure networkers don't have to discover them, hence shouldn't be bothered). Printers then are treated as any other SNMP-enabled network infrastructure device.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

rauchi

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
looks quite interesting.

Marco

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
BTW I've been thinking about custom graphing as well (for years actually) and while hacking some .defs to provide associations on Wlan APs etc. is quite dirty, I think I have a solution though.

Coming from Cisco I've provided a dedicated value for IO mem. My question to all of you is, how important is this to you? Don't worry I'm not going to take it away, but make it customizable to graph more valuable information, if applicable...
-Remo

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:07:44 AM »
I didn't think about the device status enhancing for hp printers like that.  What other details might there be if you add this printer functionality?  Total pages printed?

As far as the graphing, I can't say for sure.  You're right, it isn't Cacti.  Since I know next to nothing about the coding involved or rrdtool (I just use rrd frontends) I don't know the complexity or possible complications.  In my imagination -less you know the easier it seems :) - I supposed that maybe the additions I hinted at was just a matter of passing a few more parameters.  If it increased the development burden for you to support or evolve nedi then maybe it isn't worth it.  If it were not a burden from that perspective then it would be cool in theory to have the ability to stack graphs and/or do COUNTER graphs in a sysobj definition.  I don't know how much value there would be in fact; perhaps others can comment.

rufer

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
Personally I think it could be useful to have either
The possibility to add fully customizable graphs (choose title and type counter/gauge/...)
or
be able to change title for the existing graphs.

As example I use the existing graphs for other things like:
CPU as humidity graph (temp/humidity sensors)
temperature as "number of users connected" graph
Mem as jitter graph (some VoIP adapters)
Mem as voltage graphs (UPS)
CPU load as % output load (UPS)
CPU load as Receiver signal strengt (dBm) for some wireless links

This works really well for me (I know what it means) but it doesn't mean anything to others. For me, 3 graphs (4 values) are sufficent for most of my devices.
Of course it is a bit "quick&dirty", as example Nedi believes my Bluesocket overheats big time because there are 400 users connected and that value is graphed in the temperature graph ;D

Greetings
Rufer

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
Rufer, can you explain what you mean by 3 graphs but 4 values?  Also I have not tried to add a non-standard graph to the RRD graph section, and I'm having trouble doing it.

I assumed from the blank MemIO entry in the sysobj definitions that a fourth graph is possible.  True or not?  Because I added another OID and renamed that to "Conn" and no additional graph appeared (I deleted the current rrds and the device in the DB to start from scratch.  So then I repeated the process (deleted my asa) leaving the MemIO in as the label.  Still no connections graph.

So is a 4th OID possible in nedi and if not what is the 4th MemIO label for?  Thanks!

rufer

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
You can use MemIO and MemCPU as two values in one graph.
I think the values must be of the same type as a memory graph. So no interface counters there, only absolute values.

It works really well. If you like, I can post some examples with DEF entry.

Greetings
Rufer

mduling

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Yes, that would be great if you could give an example.