Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concurrent Discovery  (Read 14592 times)

nschwarz

Concurrent Discovery
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
We have a lot of devices (~ 1700). A discovery job ( "nedi.pl -cobrA") spents about 8 hours.

Suggestion:

Some sort of discovery concurrent jobs, which discover selected (configured) different sections
of the net.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Concurrent Discovery
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:06:37 AM »
Threaded discovery has been on the plate for a while. I'll look into this, but it would be good, to know someone who's got experience with threaded perl programming...? Anyone?

In the meantime you can play with -A and different seedfiles. Just make sure, the discovery without -A finishes first...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

duanew

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:42:47 AM »
I would like this as well.  I read a bit about Multi-threading but wasn't sure how difficult it would be.  Because the whole discovery is kept in memory I don't know if multiple threads could access the parents threads variables.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:37:16 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

oxo

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
Well I have been playing with perl threads on and off for a while
-mostly for rrd updates.

In order to implement this, the DB access needs (maybe allready has) to be changed to updating one bit of information at a time.

In older releases, it was delete table and put new values in
- this 'ain't good with threads.
I believe this may have changed in the new release which I'll be checking now with RC4.

Say the word and I'll drive down for a code hacking session :)
- in Essen this weekend with the Cacti European meeting.

br Owen

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »
From what I understand (so far), you can use shared threads. If this doesn't work, the whole things needs to be completely rewritten  :o
-Remo

duanew

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 03:30:33 AM »
I have been experimenting with multi-threading NeDi and will share my experience.

For Perl 5.8 we need to "use threads;" and "use threads::shared;".  Starting and joining the threads is easy but there is a lot of work in sharing the variables.

I changed the main discovery loop to:

Code: [Select]
if ($threadcount > 1){

#Initilise the threads
my @threads = ();
for (my $i = 0; $i < $threadcount; $i++){
push @threads, threads->create(\&misc::DiscoverThreaded,);
#print "Thread $i Process Id $threads[$i]\n";
}

#Wait for the threads to end
for (my $i = 0; $i < $threadcount; $i++){
$threads[$i]->join;
}

In DiscoverThreaded I had it maintain the todo and done arrays.  This is the start of DiscoverThreaded:

sub DiscoverThreaded {

my $p;
{
lock(@todo);
$p = shift(todo);
}

while ($p){
#my $peer  = $doip{$_[0]};
my $peer  = $doip{$p};

and this is the end:

#We have done this device, update the done list
{
lock(@misc::doneid);
lock(@misc::doneip);
lock(@misc::donenam);
push (@misc::doneid,$p);
push (@misc::doneip,$peer);
push (@misc::donenam, $name) if ($name);
}

#Now get the next device from the todo list
{
lock(@misc::todo);
$p = shift(@misc::todo);
}
}

At the start of the scripts share the variables like this:

use vars qw($p $now $nediconf $cdp $lldp $oui);
use vars qw(%nod %dev %int %mod %link %vlan %opt %net %usr);

use threads;
use threads::shared;

share(%nod);
share(%dev);
share(%int);
share(%mod);
share(%link);
share(%vlan);
share(%opt);
share(%net);
share(%usr);

But the difficult part is sharing all the hashes.  The share only works on one level of the hash and so every time a new level is added it has to be shared.

In the MSQ library modules for example:

#===================================================================
# Read Links
#===================================================================
sub ReadLink {

my $nlink = 0;
my $where = "";
if($_[0] and $_[1]){$where = "WHERE $_[0] = \"$_[1]\""}

my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:$misc::dbname:$misc::dbhost", "$misc::dbuser", "$misc::dbpass", { RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 1});
my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM links $where");
$sth->execute();
while ((my @l) = $sth->fetchrow_array) {
[b]#Shared Hashes have to created for every valiable
$main::link{$l[1]} = &share({});
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]} = &share({});
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]} = &share({});
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]} = &share({});[/b]
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]}{bw} = $l[5];
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]}{ty} = $l[6];
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]}{pr} = $l[7];
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]}{du} = $l[8];
$main::link{$l[1]}{$l[2]}{$l[3]}{$l[4]}{vl} = $l[9];
$nlink++;
}
$sth->finish if $sth;
$dbh->disconnect;
return "$nlink links ($where) read from MySQL:$misc::dbname.links\n";
}

It is quite a bit of work identifying all these new hash initialisations.  This would certainly not be a minor release.

I can send my current code but it still needs quite a bit of work.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:41:23 AM by duanew »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
Are you a programmer? Wow, that's quite impressive...

I wonder though, if the whole discovery should be rewritten for thread support. I'm sure there's more efficient ways to process the collected information when the focus is on multi-threading right from the start (Like storing data for each device in the db right away, to avoid the need of sharing complex hashes etc).

Thanks a lot for your work! I'll definitely look at this, but I guess it'll be for 2.0 and hopefully with a bunch of developers like you  8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:10:27 AM by rickli »
-Remo

nschwarz

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
Hi,
I have checked several approaches executing snmp requests in parallel

1.    (reinventing the wheel ...) doing the task by generating a lot of threads doing the snmp-requests
      This results in a lot of system overhead. Requesting more than 120 threads results in "out of memory" problems.
      A typical result after changing the test implementation (get results of finished threads and close before
       creating new threads) is:
       checking 25,000 snmp variables of 250 cisco switches spent ~ 63 sec real  / 183 sec cpu (threads 25-30 in parallel)

2.    Trying the perl module (cpan) "SNMP::Effective"  - sorry - no success to get it working ....

3.    I found a different implementation of parallel snmp requests:  "SNMP::Query::AsynchMulti" at
       http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=664360
       Trying this, I received impressive performance:
       checking 465,000 snmp variables of 1520 cisco switches spent ~ 35 sec real / 28 sec cpu !

The last software implementation could be a good choice to get an implementation that is differing between
discovery process (only a few times every day) and doing gathering of performance e.g. every 5 minutes.
(e.g. just fill the rrd interface data files in parallel to the nedi discovery process)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »
Sounds great! Thanks for your research. As soon as 1.0 is out of the way this (amongst other things) is something to be looked at.
-Remo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
As promised I've started massaging the code towards threaded discovery. I'm nowhere near completion, but DB updates are done on a device basis. A nice side effect is, that modules and IFs are not lost anymore, if a device is unreachable for some reason and delete requests (from device-status) are carried out immediately. The only things left are nodes and links, which need to be calculated after the discovery. I'll either have to flatten their hashes for easier sharing or store them alternatively in order to process the data...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:55:13 PM by rickli »
-Remo

oxo

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
Hi

have you anymore thoughts on threading...?

Edit:
Notes for myself
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlthrtut.html
Limitations of lock and share mentioned in earlier posts @ http://perldoc.perl.org/threads/shared.html as
lock VARIABLE
lock places a lock on a variable until the lock goes out of scope. If the variable is locked by another thread, the lock call will block until it's available. Multiple calls to lock by the same thread from within dynamically nested scopes are safe -- the variable will remain locked until the outermost lock on the variable goes out of scope.

Locking a container object, such as a hash or array, doesn't lock the elements of that container. For example, if a thread does a lock(@a), any other thread doing a lock($a[12]) won't block.

lock() follows references exactly one level. lock(\$a) is equivalent to lock($a), while lock(\\$a) is not.

Note that you cannot explicitly unlock a variable; you can only wait for the lock to go out of scope. This is most easily accomplished by locking the variable inside a block.
share will traverse up references exactly one level. share(\$a) is equivalent to share($a) , while share(\\$a) is not. This means that you must create nested shared data structures by first creating individual shared leaf nodes, and then adding them to a shared hash or array.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:41:04 PM by oxo »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »
Tx for the info. I'm gearing the next 1.0.x release towards parallel discovery. But to actually implement it will require many different approaches (on link and node handling). I'm thinking of dropping MAC forwarding tables alltogether and use more efficient mechanisms to assign nodes. I just don't know when I'll find the time for this...
-Remo

nerdi

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 05:18:28 PM »
This is all good, and I'm watching and hoping a reliable threaded discovery makes it's way into Nedi. But as a stop gap, as mentioned in the original post, a method that would allow for a carving up of the network address space between multiple non-concurrent jobs, could help with larger network discoveries. While this doesn't speed overall discovery, it does allow for sections of the network, needing more frequent discovery, to be refreshed. I'm guessing there are ways to structure this (multiple nedi.conf instances etc...), but wonder if someone has already hacked a something like this together.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »
Just keep in mind this creates higher traffic peaks and stresses the device much more than a single walk at the time. I fear this could crash certain not-so-well engineered devices once in a while. Still amazing how much faster it gets! Of course it would be a great alternative to my slo-mo approach  8)
-Remo