Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What does "Arp" field mean in the "nodes" table?  (Read 4370 times)

Kevin

What does "Arp" field mean in the "nodes" table?
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
It's early and I haven't yet had my second cup of coffeee.

I'm working on exporting the "nodes" table to a spreadsheet (actually, just the hosts), and I notice the last field in the table is "arp" of type "smallint(5) unsigned".   In my database, this field is populated with values of between 0 and 8, with most rows having a value of 2.

What exactly does "arp" signify in this table?

The goal is to provide management with a snapshot of all devices on the network except for routers, switches and IP phones, including their switch, port, MAC, primary IP and hostname (when known).   Most of the machines don't have reverse DNS entries, so I have an /etc/hosts file to fill in the hostnames.

gumba

Re: What does "Arp" field mean in the "nodes" table?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
Not really answering your question, but I already have a script running creating Excel spreadsheets from the nodes table if your interested.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »
It's # of ARP entries for that MAC address found in an attempt to discover ARP spoofing attempts. It's not very accurate in 1.0, but will be better in the next release...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
Not really answering your question, but I already have a script running creating Excel spreadsheets from the nodes table if your interested.

Yes, I am interested; that would save me a couple of steps.

MagnAxiom

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
ARP stands for Address Resolution Protocol, it's how the network matches IP addresses to MAC addresses it doesn't know yet.

gumba

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »
Yes, I am interested; that would save me a couple of steps.

Look at topic http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=295, all the code and the required steps to integrate it are posted there. If you have questions feel free to ask.