NeDi Software Specific > Discovery

Discovery of IP addresses of connected Nodes

(1/2) > >>

ageldenberg:
Hello, NeDi gurus

I have a bunch of Cisco switches where I can see proper MAC addresses of connected nodes but no IP addresses.  Could you point me to the information on how those IP addresses can be discovered.  Do I need to tweak .def files or there are some other tricks.  I read that there is a way to populate MAC addresses from ARP tables via SSH.  How can I incorporate it into NeDi configuration?

Thanks a lot!

SchmuFoo:
When this is a Layer-3 Switch (Mode) it should work out of the box. Maybe you can post your .def file.

SchmuFoo:
Example Def File Settings for an Cisco WS-C2960CG-8TC-L working as Layer-3 Switch

SchmuFoo:

--- Quote from: SchmuFoo on March 07, 2019, 11:15:43 am ---Example Def File Settings for an Cisco WS-C2960CG-8TC-L working as Layer-3 Switch

--- End quote ---

Oh:

--- Code: ---ArpND (SNMP) ---------------------------------------------------------------- Thu Mar 7 11:24:11 2019
SNMP:Connect X.X.X.X X v2 Tout:2s MaxMS:1472 Retry:1 NB:0
ERR :ipNetToPhysical The requested table is empty or does not exist
--- End code ---

But VS. "Blue Man" Button Result from that same device:

--- Code: ---ipNetToMediaPhysAddress.X.X.X.X.X: 78:e3:X:X:X:X
[..]
--- End code ---

ageldenberg:
ShmuFoo

I believe you are correct.  The switches where IP addresses are not discovered are Layer2 switches.  Now, what can I do with those?  I do not know the inner working of NeDi.  To my mind it should use the ARP tables from the Layer3 switches and populate Layer2 switches with IP addresses.

I hope someone figured out how to find IP addresses of the devices connected to Layer2 switches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version