Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Use location string in seedlist as a Prefix?  (Read 2036 times)

MPell

• View Profile
Use location string in seedlist as a Prefix?
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm playing around with NeDi an the possiblity to use the snmp location string to create maps and rack views. I assume that the location string in seedlist overrides the snmp location string of the switch. Now Im wondering if I could use the location string in the seedlist as a "prefix location" entry for the IP-Ranges. So for example the seedlist looks like

# DNS/IP      cmty   name   location      contact
;192.168.1.2      peblic   -   Switzerland;Zurich;Home Office;   lanadmin

Now the idea is, that on discovery NeDi would merge that location Prefix from seedlist with the configured SNMP-String of a switch, e.g. "floor 5;DC;Rack 17;7", so that the resulting location string for the switch would be

Switzerland;Zurich;Home Office;floor 5;DC;Rack 17;7

This would be an advantage, where the snmp-location strings on the switch are kept simple (e.g. only for location infos in one building). Also for discovery with seedlists, one could use different "location prefix strings" for different areas:

# DNS/IP      cmty   name   location      contact
;192.168.1.1-254      peblic   -   Switzerland;Zurich;Home Office;   lanadmin
;172.16.15.1-254      poblic   -   Germany;Cologne;Mobile Office;   lanadmin

Or is it already possible and I didn't found the right topic in the forum?!

Thx MPell

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Use location string in seedlist as a Prefix?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »
No, it's either or at the moment. It might be interesting to add this option. On the other side, if you configure the full location on each device, it's always clear where it belongs...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo