Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Issue with missing interfaces - Dell 6248  (Read 2724 times)

Ceden

• View Profile
Issue with missing interfaces - Dell 6248
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:13:39 pm »
Hello everyone,

Just starting out with Nedi and so far it has been fairly good, but I've run into a bit of a snag.

HW Info:
Model: Powerconnect 6248
Firmware: 3.2.0.7

I've setup SNMP on a Dell powerconnect and I don't seem to be getting the interfaces.
I'm using the 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.3010 definitions (6224) for 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.3011 (6248) and most of the information populates.

When I run the snmp discovery I receive a large number of errors:
LLDP Section has:
LLXN:1/0/39 index 39 has no IF index!

Bridgefwd section has:
FWDS:00155dca3800 no IF for index 2 found
Use of uninitialized value $po in hash element at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 2817. Use of uninitialized value $po in hash element at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 2817. Use of uninitialized value $d in string eq at /var/nedi/inc/libmisc.pm line 1109. Use of uninitialized value $d in string eq at /var/nedi/inc/libmisc.pm line 1113. Use of uninitialized value $s in numeric lt (<) at /var/nedi/inc/libmisc.pm line 1114. Use of uninitialized value $po in hash element at /var/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 2818.

I've read a little and I'm guessing part of this is incorrect OID values in the .def file, but I'm not quiet sure what I should be looking for. Any tips?

Ceden

• View Profile
Re: Issue with missing interfaces - Dell 6248
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:39:14 am »
Just an update. Planning to do a firmware update as I believe this might be a firmware issue. As per the release notes for 3.3.5.5:

Description: Port detection mechanism
fails with SNMP Query using
Q-BRIDGE-MIB

Impact: dot1qVlanFdbId SNMP object returns
incremental indexes of the VLANs

Resolution: MIB was changed to return VLAN
ids

Not sure if there is a work around without having to do a firmware update, but I think this might be the issue. Will post back with a status update.

---- update ----
Firmware update did not change the snmp results.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:26:27 am by Ceden »

Ceden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:23:24 am »
I think this might have to due with NeDi not finding or liking the output of the ifindex.

So I've pulled down the dell mib files and loaded them into an SNMP viewing application (http://www.ireasoning.com/index.shtml) and seem to get all the right information when I walk the IF index tables.

Anyone have any clue how to output / debug the nedi.pl script to post what it thinks it has found? I know I can use -V to get verbose and -db but those don't actually give me the values. I've looked through the libsnmp in the inc folder but didn't find the index section in the interface sub.

Thanks,
Clay

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »
Did you watch the Defgen tutorial on Youtube? It can be tricky to find the correct OIDs sometimes...

Comparing the .def files of similar switches usually helps too...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Ceden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:49 pm »
rickli,

Absolutely, 3 or 4 times :) it is in my favorites.

I've copied the configs from the 6224 that was included. (I've also tried the other switches)

I'm starting to wonder if Dell's Firmware is wonky / non-compliant in some way, hence wanting to look at the snmp results from NeDi.

I am planning on doing an SNMP walk and dump of the 5524 that I have working and the 6248 and comparing the OIDs for the interface index (actually I might just pull all the oid values in the libsnmp just for grins), but I will have to save that for tonight.

I will update if I find anything funny :)

Thank you,
Clay

Ceden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 03:36:03 am »
Just a follow up on this. I've thrown in the towel on the 6248. I do not believe it properly populates the required SNMP information.

:) Time to move on to bigger and better switches.

Thank you,
Clay