Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Optical Monitoring  (Read 3886 times)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Optical Monitoring
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:44:16 pm »
A question for you experts. Would you agree to monitor send and receive signal strength would be the most important?
Also, would it suffice to test against a minimum threshold or do we need to test against a maximum threshold as well?

I'm looking at getting this feature into 1.8, but I don't want to snmpwalk more OIDs than absolutely necessary...

Another open issue, do I assign the optics to the interfaces or the modules? Depending on equipment vendor one is easier than the other. However, I lean towards modules because the DB structure won't need changing and would be more efficient (rather than adding unused fields on thousands of copper ports).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:14:38 pm by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

gerold

• View Profile
Re: Optical Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:12 pm »
Hi Remo,

I haven't seen optical transmit or receive levels being out of range at our site.
Judging from my personal experience, monitoring the interface error counters is much more important.
So if this gets implement, please add a global option to enable/disable it. I would probably turn it off.

It's not that important where the values will be stored, but they should be displayed in the context of the corresponding interface.

YMMV.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Optical Monitoring
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:44:37 pm »
Tx for the feedback. I'll add a skip option and try to find a way to assign them to the appropriate interface...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo