Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: juniper not discovered, polled  (Read 2081 times)

healy@bnl.gov

• Get with the SCRIPTING or get out.
    • View Profile
juniper not discovered, polled
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:12 pm »
Despite using LLDP, and seeing the juniper neighbors in both a cisco and juniper "upstream device" i CAN NOT GET any junipers to discover or update UNLESS i put their IP addresses in the seed file. Their managment subnet is already in the seedfile, but thats not enough.  I don't like having to manually add every new juniper to the seedfile; such manual intervention risks errors, missing a device, typing wrong ip etc.  discovery does look good (as well it should!)

Although ciscos have not met our expecttions as a campus lan switching fabric (hence juniper rollout) NeDi DID discover them w/out my intervention.  I'm betting theres a way, and i'm just missing something.  (wouldn't be the first time!)   We have mostly EX4300s (24,48,32f) currently on 16.1R5.7 with a handful of ex2300 in some version of 15; don't worry abt those right now!

Pls assist if you have any experience w/Juniper discovery in NeDi.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: juniper not discovered, polled
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:58:30 am »
LLDP discovery between different vendors can be tricky. I can offer you to have a look at it together, if you send me a mail...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

healy@bnl.gov

• Get with the SCRIPTING or get out.
    • View Profile
Re: juniper not discovered, polled
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
Changing the lldp protocol setting on the juniper was KEY, but so was adjusting the discover setting to go along with the Juniper change.

Using the juniper configuration

"set protocols lldp management-address <IP>"

in conjunction with defgen discover "LLD" ("plain vanilla") has allowed me to remove all the juniper management IPs from the NeDi seedfile.

Thanks again for the help, and Happy New Year!