Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Please remake the need for defgen in Nedi  (Read 376 times)

vias79

• View Profile
Please remake the need for defgen in Nedi
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
If you checkout the Observium project, he uses the MIBs instead of generic SNMP polls. Couldn't Nedi be made to use this approach aswell?

If this is impossible could a more generic approach to defgens be coded? Nedi already has support for a lot of hardware but not all models and lineups. Could defgen be modified with brand-centric defaults? Most values (broadcast/discards/ifaliases) are the same between models from the same vendor. Some differences may apply but they're not that many. Cut'n'paste often works between different models using HP Comware 5, HP Comvare 7, Huawei, Cisco IOS etc.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:50:05 PM by vias79 »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Please remake the need for defgen in Nedi
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
Well MIBs only describe OIDs. You still need to know what to ask...

I've decided to skip MIBs 15 years ago to avoid the overhead. I went for individual .def files to avoid constraints between types as well...

15 years later I'm still happy with this decision as it is robust and pretty reliable.

In 1.7 I've added a new function to copy any existing .def over an unknown type. This will make life much easier!
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

vias79

• View Profile
Re: Please remake the need for defgen in Nedi
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
Okay, we've recently upgraded to 1.7. Haven't tested this new function, will be nice to try :)