Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dot (.) in hostname  (Read 295 times)

ruehlb

• View Profile
Dot (.) in hostname
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
It appears that I have had this issue for a while but now that I am looking to upgrade to Nedi 1.5 I am seeing this cause larger errors. We have some access points where the names of them have a dot (.) in the hostname. This was done because we base the AP name to match building blueprint. In large rooms with a bunch of cubes, the ap is given the ID of the cube it is above. The cubes each have their own number but it is a subnumber of the main room. So if the main room was 260 and it was cube 20, the AP would have 260.20 in the name to provide a location. The problem I am seeing is that nedi drops everything after the dot. What this now does is every AP in that main room is being labeled as 260 within Nedi creating duplicate device names. It appears that Nedi 1.4 added just one and left the rest, however in 1.5, if a duplicate device name is detected, the discovery halts.

Since this "worked" on 1.4 but now causes 1.5 to stop the discovery, I need to see what kind of fix I can come up with. One would be to rename the access points so that there isn't a dot it in any more but that might not be as easy as it sounds. The question I have is can Nedi keep the entire hostname regardless of what characters are in it so that it doesn't break the name apart?

Hannu Liljemark

• NeDi monkey for an IT service provider
    • View Profile
Re: Dot (.) in hostname
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
This doesn't really help you but I've had in our notes ever since we started using Nedi (before 1.4) that using a dot in hostname is a no-no. Cisco APs have dot in their name by default and Nedi has always screwed up the names if e.g. a freshly installed AP is in the network for a while and Nedi picks it up. To me having a dot in the hostname sounds bizarre if you think about fqdn.

Br,
Hannu

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
I'm surprised 1.5 dies (presumably with the duplicate key SQL error)! I'll help you to get this fixed, but I need more details :)

I've added a "special" treat to Cisco APs, as they appear with a name like APabcd.ef01.2345 upon installing and this can't be changed...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ruehlb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
After discussing the issue with the group, we decided to remove the dot in the host name anyway due to other issues. While looking into our options, we noticed that those access points were being omitted from other management tools because of the dot. Those systems were treating it was a domain separator (which is what it looks like so this is understood) and because that name didn't exist, it didn't manage it. Because those APs didn't show up on the management tools, some of us never knew they existed so we weren't aware of the issue. Ironically, it was only due to the discovery failure that we were able to tie all if the issues together.

Even though we have resolved our issue, I would be glad to provide any information needed if you would still like to investigate.