Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Duplicate ip entrys for macs  (Read 474 times)

hpd

• View Profile
Duplicate ip entrys for macs
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
Hello,

we have two servers with different versions of NeDi in use. . The old one with NeDi 1.0.7 and a newer first wit 1.4p6 and now with 1.5.

In the old one we got reporting Mails with duplicate IP-Adresses for several MAC's. Ok.. on the Gateways where both actually in the arp table, cause of ip changes from dhcp.

The old one use seemingly the newest one. All IP-Changes where listet on the IP-Change-Table from the mac.

Now the problem.. the new one writes all adresses in the db. so if we want to tshoot a client with the mac, we see several ip's.

If we show the mac details there are noch IP-Changes listed, but all diferent IP's listet under IP.

Thanks for any suggestions!  :(

greetz
hpd

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Duplicate ip entrys for macs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
This is a bit of a problem, as it's difficult to distinguish an IP change from a host using several IPs (e.g. when the router has new and old entry in the ARP cache). I've added new retire values in the latest NeDi versions. 1 for links (as obsolete ones shouldn't stay 30 days either) and 1 for ARP values.

From your IPchanges I see, that they change quite frequently indeed and this is a printer, right?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

hpd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
hi,

yes this one is a printer. The same problem exists with all clients(windows7) using dhcp.
We don't know, why the clients change the ip, cause the lease is at 8 days. But this is not a problem for us. Dhcp provided by Infoblox.

Now to the discovery:
It seems the newer version don't delete old entries. On the Scan yesterday at 10:13 there where only 2 IP's in the ARP-cache of the router (the actual one and a older one [timer 70min]). The 1.4/1.5 save all adresses as actual with the date of the scan. On 1.0.7 we have only the actual IP :|

greetz

P.S. Prinzipiell können wir uns auf Deutsch besser erklären :)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
I'm afraid the only thing you can do in 1.5 is to decrease retire in nedi.conf.

Alternatively you can replace retire with revive in nedi.pl lines 317 and 318.
This will use half the retire time instead...

A bit more complicated, but add this before line 317:
my $nret = $main::now - 86400;
and replace $retire with $nret to set it to 1 day.

ps. Ja, but it's an international forum ;)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

hpd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
Ok, changed the retire value in nedi.conf to 1 ist better. Thanks. Only max 2 IPs per MAC cause of IP changed.
But would be a retire of 2 Hours be possible (scan every 2 Hours) for this ?

Tried it with "my $nret = $main::now - 7200;" inserted Line 303 and changed retire to nret in line 323/324 (322/323 before insert nret line). Tried it before i set the retire to 1 in nedi.conf. There was no benefit. Many different old IP's on one mac :/

greetz

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
You can make retire smaller than 1. Try 0.2 ( = 4.8h)
-Remo