Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discover of ipv6 nodes not working  (Read 762 times)

galileo5

• View Profile
Discover of ipv6 nodes not working
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
Hallo,

I try to discover nodes that use ipv6. Nevertheless in my nedi no ipv6 entries are showing up. The nodnd table stays empty.
When I look at the SysObjId of that device (Nexus 7k) ARP/ND is selected as IPv4/6 and when clicking on IPv4/6(ipNetToPhysical) I also see entries for ipv6 addresses like the following (XX= obfuscation by me)
ress.151060608.ipv6."2a:00:XX:00:00:00:06:f0:7d:49:5e:a0:a1:94:7f:ba": 0:26:b9:cf:77:XX
Is there somethin else I have to do, so that nedi collects the ipv6 addresses? Version is 1.4.300.
Thanks.

Daniel

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Discover of ipv6 nodes not working
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
There is some weirdness with Nexus and IPv6. I thought to have it working in 1.4, but maybe not in every case. Will certainly keep it in mind, if I come across one of those...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

galileo5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
Hallo,

after I installed 1.5.225 ipv6 was still not working so I took a deep dive into the code. From what I can see in the libcli.pm there is only one command used for arp (sh ip arp vrf all) and that shows only the ipv4 addresses and not the neighbour discovery cache for ipv6. So I am asking myself where the implementation of nd is in arpnd CLI.

In libmisc.pm I found, that it is checked wether cli access is available or not. Only if not, it uses arpnd SNMP. Is there a reason to prefer CLI? I commented arpnd cli out and instead started arpnd snmp. Now it seams to work for me on my nexus device.

Greetings

galileo5   

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
CLI is used primarily for firewalls which don't support ARP via SNMP (for some strange reason). It's also used for Nexus to get all ARP entries from VRFs. Do you not get any entries with "sh ip arp vrf all"?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

galileo5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »
I get the IPv4 entries with "sh ip arp vrf all". The IPv6 entries are shown via "show ipv6 neighbors " command.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
Ah I forgot :) I couldn't implement IPv6 yet. Certainly something on the todo list...
-Remo