Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discover SFP Type Transceivers  (Read 1610 times)

rheath

• View Profile
Discover SFP Type Transceivers
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
During the discovery process, nedi finds and reports some (not all) sfp type transceivers.  For example, I have 2 Nexus 7700 series chassis configured exactly the same hardware one reports its sfp transceivers and one doesn't.  Additionally, I have several Nexus 7009 chassis and only one of them is reporting any SFP transceivers.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

rheath

• View Profile
Re: Discover SFP Type Transceivers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
The 6509 chassis in my environment have X2 and XENPAK transceivers and are discovered and added to the modules table.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
It all depends on the .def files and what the device reports (usually in the entity-mib 1.3.6.1.2.1.47). Use Defgen to compare those definitions and their OIDs...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

rheath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
Using defgen I query the 2 devices that are the same hardware using the same sysobjID, one reports all transceiver information and the other reports 5 of the ~50 transceivers in the chassis.

When using defgen, both report all the ports under module discovery with lines like 6486: "Linecard-7 Port-1".  Only one chassis reports all active ports like 33499: "Transceiver(slot:7-port:6)", and these cases the type of transceiver is recorded in the nedi database under modules.  This appears to only be an issue for me with sfp+ type transceivers.

What log can I look at the verify where it is failing?

Thanks!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
Look for lines beginning with MOD: when using -v

SFPs should be class 10 and if "Class Values" regexp in Defgen contains 10 they're added (unless no serial number was found). I've seen SFPs listed with a class of 9 (usually linecards) and other inconcistencies, which make things difficult sometimes.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo