Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WLAN: UniFi controller and APs  (Read 4739 times)

RaySway

WLAN: UniFi controller and APs
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »
Hi!

This week I have "discovered"  8) NeDi and then right away embraced it.  So currently I am still about to learn the right procedures, like: You shall manually link your devices since that is somehow "better" then LLDP discovery (false or true)?

Ok, but here is my real task: I am testing this in a small network with a couple of switches and a smaller number of UniFi WLAN access points plus the corresponding Ubiquiti controller software. As of now all STA show up on the switch ports that have the APs, not on the AP itself. My understanding is that this is because those APs only support SNMP for interface statistics, but do not provide any bridge info.

Small annoyance: As of now I see a lot of "has had many inbound/outbound errors" for each of the APs in the event list that I would prefer to address somehow in a structured manner, i.e. set different thresholds (how?) or disable this type of warning for an AP (how?).

Then: I wonder how I would go about to employ the (rather simple) UniFi controller API to regularly feed NeDi with a boat full (or not) of STA statistics, based on SSID and VLAN. Obviously there will be a lot of roaming that I do not need to be detected as nomadic behaviour. In general I believe that many of the UniFi WiFi admins out there would love to have such a tool at hand, for example to be able to identify poorly performing or badly behaving WiFi devices.

If you have directions or tips that could point me into the right direction I'd be truly thankful.

My other (minor) questions are: What to do with printers, i.e. discover them as devices or keep them as nodes, and what to do with VoIP phones, snom in particular.

RaySway

Re: WLAN: UniFi controller and APs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:50 pm »
Next thought: If I was able to manually declare a switch port to have a single device linked, namely the access point, then NeDi should be able to right away understand that all WiFi STA found on this very switch port need to be mapped as being connected to the AP.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »
Static links are only necessary, if they're not created automatically. For other Wlan solutions like Aruba and Ruckus (without discovery protocols), the APs are linked automatically by their MAC addresses. I haven't had the chance to look at Ubiquity though.

Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

RaySway

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 10:27:11 pm »
If there is anything I can do, like provide info, test ... let me know.

Question: Why is "metric" made not of a single character, but multiple characters like "DDDDD" and not "D"?
And while I am at asking what I feel are somewhat stupid questions: What dimension do "u" and "m" stand for in the y-axis label of the RRD graphs?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:28:49 pm by RaySway »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:34:28 am »
If you or Ubiquity have an interest in funding development I'm all ears :)

Metric is actually used to draw the graph (with the last 10 values).

u=micro, m=milli (not stupid at all, as micro packets indeed are confusing, but it's just an average value over a timeframe)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

RaySway

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 03:04:51 pm »
Thanks for the insights, so I guess M = mega (which is yet to be seen in my mediocre network) and m = milli.
Funding: Well... you could fund me, maybe?  :P

Ronald

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 11:01:15 pm »
After 5 years the UNIFI AP still does not provide a MAC table via SNMP.

Instead the clients are all in the ARP table which is a bit weird.