Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A map module for NeDi  (Read 3820 times)

dohco

• View Profile
A map module for NeDi
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
Hi

I've made a module that shows all your devices on a map.
In the included file you'll find screenshots and installation notes.

For this module to work you need to add a new field in SNMP-location with the coordinates to the device.
SNMP location syntax
Region;City;Building;Floor;[Room;][Rack;][RU;][Height];Coordinates

I made it for my own needs and it's fairly simple to modify.
Please post any comments or modifying tips here on the forum.

/Conny

Kasper

• View Profile
Re: A map module for NeDi
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
Really nice!

Works perferctly. Thank you!

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:44 AM »
Cool. Rally good.
Can I suggest if you can change the balloon colour to indicate device status...? (Linking with Moni.pl)

Thanks a lot.

Kasper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
After using the map for a short time I would like to suggest the following addition/update.

1. If it could use the CDP neighbor information to draw a link between the different locations it would be an awesome map with the physical locations and link information.
2. In the popup balloon that appears when you select an address I would like it to specify the number of devices and number of nodes on the current location. This to get a quick indication of the device and node density on the network at the currently selected location.
Se the original and mock up bellow.
3. I really like harrys suggestion to use the colors from moni.pl, this together with links in different colors would be great.
4. A link to the map (zoomed in for the current location) when in device view would be great.

And lastly. Please include this in standard Nedi for the future updates, that would be great.

Thanks

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »
dohco contacted me about this before posting here. I had a go at it myself and derived Monitoring-Map from it (see picture). The stats at the top can be hidden. It uses colored icons based on monitoring status already. This would have to be adapted for the cluster icons, to make it really usable. I've also added a feature to use geocoordinates from the locations table, if none were found in the device's location string...

It's great to see such contributions and all of you putting in their thoughts! However one concern remains: Google! I really prefer Openstreetmap as Google wants some serious money for using their maps on an internal application (at least that's my understanding). If you are willing to spend money, I'd prefer you to spend it on NeDi ;-)

I'll look into porting this to OSM, but keep the ideas coming!
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

dohco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
Thank you for the good ideas on how to make it better! Keep 'em coming.

As reckli mentioned I've contacted him about this module and I think it would be best if it could be part of the dist instead of being a stand alone add-on module.
No one has more understanding of all the possibilities on how to intergrate with all the good features NeDi provides.
As rickli gave a hint about, it might be in one of the next versions...

With that said:
I'm not going to make any new versions public of this module because it might be in conflict with rickli's upcoming versions.
If you have any suggestions on improvements, please post them here for future reference.

Best regards
/Conny

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
FYI, if you're wondering why Monitoring-Map is just showing some availability report. I've deactivated the map feature for now. You can activate it by removing the "1 or " in line 199 and upload markerclusterer.js to html/inc. Coordinates are derived as suggested by dohco or from the locations table, if you've added the buildings before...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo