Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broken node scan?  (Read 4597 times)

Mikeuyz

Broken node scan?
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
To whom it may concern,

Since the latest update, it seems to be impossible to save any nodes on 3 of our routers.  all 3 of them use the same .def and have the same IOs, please note that these routers are unable to execute "show mac-address..." because this does not exists in this ios. (Don't know if that is necessary)

Here is the output of the nedi detect script for one of them:
http://pastebin.com/eyKwf9P3

Sorry for the link, but can't paste it in this thread:
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters).

It detects all the users and the correct IPs, but it does not save it to the Nedi.nodes table. How comes and how to fix it, this is very important for us.

P.S: Because of customer privacy I have removed 80% of the interfaces which include the description. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Mikey

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Broken node scan?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
Change the OS to IOS-rtr (in Defgen) as there are some subtle differences in the command...

In NeDi 1.4 nodes can have multiple IP addresses, therefore the ARP info resides in new tables. The drawback is you won't see them in Nodes-List, if the forwarding (layer 2) info is not available. You can still access them in Noodle-Search...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Mikeuyz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Change the OS to IOS-rtr (in Defgen) as there are some subtle differences in the command...

In NeDi 1.4 nodes can have multiple IP addresses, therefore the ARP info resides in new tables. The drawback is you won't see them in Nodes-List, if the forwarding (layer 2) info is not available. You can still access them in Noodle-Search...

Is there an possibility to get them back on the normal "nodes list" page? I have modified the entry in the .def, but they are still only showing up on the Noodle page. The problem here is that this page does not show the ifName + ifDescription which contains the home address of the user. We made the search at the Nodes page to include the ifDescription, so we could search on the home address.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
The problem is Arp is layer3 and MAC is layer2. You need the layer2 info in order to assign the correct interface.

So with IOS-rtr the CLI command still doesn't work? What do you get in the -v output?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

Mikeuyz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
The problem is Arp is layer3 and MAC is layer2. You need the layer2 info in order to assign the correct interface.

So with IOS-rtr the CLI command still doesn't work? What do you get in the -v output?

Please ref link below for full verbose output..

http://pastebin.com/eyKwf9P3

Also... These routers do not contain any mac address tables. There is no possibillity to run "show mac-address-table dyn"  or anything.

Now with the old nedi this worked, so I'm not sure where this is going wrong..

Identify ***.***.236.5 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SNMP:Connect ***.***.236.5 ****** v2 Tout:2s MaxMS:1472 Retry:1 NB:0
IDNT:Name=RO-02-GS
SOBJ:Reading 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.222.def (cisco7206VXR)
IDNT:Con=Utelisys NOC, noc@utelisys.net
IDNT:Loc=HIDDEN
IDNT:OS=IOS-rtr SRV=78 TYPE=cisco7206VXR

BridgeFwd (CLI)   -------------------------------------------------------------
SSH :UT_RO_NOC@***.***.236.5:22 Tout:2s OS:IOS-rtr EN:[\w+().-]+#\s?$
PTY :Forking ssh -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' -l UT_RO_NOC ***.***.236.5
CLI2:Matched 'Password:' sending password
CLI3:Password sent
CLI8:Matched enable prompt, OK
CMD :terminal length 0 = OK
EVNT:MOD=C/1 L=150 CL=nede TGT=RO-02-GS MSG=Command show mac-address-table dyn returned % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
FWDC:0 bridge forwarding entries found
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:22:26 PM by MikeyvanderWorp »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »
Aha, I see now. In that case it would make sense to leave brigde-fwd empty in the .def...

As I wrote before, Nodes without L2 information are not shown in Nodes-List or Status due to the internal restructuring. Older versions used the router information, but it could be missleading...

You could use System-Export to display nodarp table entries (joined with interfaces) for now...
-Remo

Mikeuyz

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »
Aha, I see now. In that case it would make sense to leave brigde-fwd empty in the .def...

As I wrote before, Nodes without L2 information are not shown in Nodes-List or Status due to the internal restructuring. Older versions used the router information, but it could be missleading...

You could use System-Export to display nodarp table entries (joined with interfaces) for now...

Hi rickli,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it is not possible to get them in the nodes list back, but we have found another solution by doing this.

On the interfaces (which are shown on the devices) there is an description with the street address of the location. What we do now is we copy the interface name and past it in the Noodle page. This also gives us the result we are required to know. Thanks anyhow!

Hopefully in the future there is an small option whether to use L2 information and if it is required.

Could you btw still reply on our other thread? : http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=1867

Also I have seen that you are now actually only giving us support when you pay for it. Could you explain us some more about that via e-mail? It should be in my account details.

Kind regards,
Mikey

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »
Ok, extending the Noodle results is probably a good idea anyway, will look at your suggestion...

As to the other thread, you probably missed the link to yet another thread on that topic:
http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=1858.0

About a year ago, I quit my job to make a living with NeDi. I still answer questions in the forum, if I find the time. I rely on paid NeDi subscriptions though. I'll send you a mail to discuss further...
-Remo

Mikeuyz

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
Ok, extending the Noodle results is probably a good idea anyway, will look at your suggestion...

As to the other thread, you probably missed the link to yet another thread on that topic:
http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=1858.0

About a year ago, I quit my job to make a living with NeDi. I still answer questions in the forum, if I find the time. I rely on paid NeDi subscriptions though. I'll send you a mail to discuss further...

Thanks for your reply once again. You can mark this as solved.