Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: best way to start discovery  (Read 4815 times)

big

• View Profile
best way to start discovery
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
Hi Folks

Good Morning
I’m quite a new with nedi so pardon the stating questions…….
I have quite a large multi-vendor campus network. We are mostly cisco in the access layer and VIP services. The core is force10 and arista, the WAN is a pair of juniper mx2010’s. the wireless is aruba. For firewalls 2we have both cisco asa’s and FWSM; we also have some paloalto firewall units in production. Combined we have approximately 600 network devices excluding VIP phones. There are approximately 3000 VOIP phones of various models from cisco. We run both cdp and / or lldp on most devices.

We want to setup nedi in an optimum fashion for discovery. After looking over some of the documentation, I think the best set of options is to allow arps from the MLS devices, snmp with our read community string configured in the nedi.conf. What other settings would be recommended to maximize the discovery process? Also should I create defgen files before or after the initial discovery? We would like to get all mac addresses, ports, and poe settings from the maximum number of devices on the campus lan.

Any advice appreciated.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: best way to start discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »
Welcome to NeDi!

Your idea using the ARP tables can work, but I'd look into CDP/LLDP discoveries first. If you have several network areas separated by FW for example, you could add a seed for each. Add FW IPs as well as any other missing devices.

I usually skip things like reading modules during the day and do this once at night (e.g. with the config backup) and skip reading forwarding tables instead then. Speaking of, make sure you can use telnet or SSH for reading forwarding tables off Cisco switches as it's rather inefficient with SNMP...

Once your 600 devices and 3000 phones are discovered reliably, you could think about parallelizing and schedule it on an hourly basis. I've improved many things in that respect for NeDi 1.5...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

big

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
hi folks

before I forget.... thanks for the help and feedback

an update from a noobie

I found approximately 100 of my switches. most of the voip phones.
I need to start adding other equipment. I want to start with my core routers which are force 10 600i units.
I also want to add some cisco 6880 units. I think I need to investigate defgen and how to use it.
is there a good tutorial on how to get started for devices that are not supported?

thanks

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 02:18:04 AM »
HI
You must have all OID's for constructing the DEF file.
The first suggestion would be, Please go to http://www.oidview.com/mibs/detail.html to find the correct OID for your device.

Secondly there are tutorials links on Nedi.ch.    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bunFHB-RoUQ)

I hope this will help.

big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
thanks will investigate the oid / defgen.

next question..... I think nedi is setup right, I am accessing the web gui from my desktop and some of the items don't work. I get blank
pages etc. I.E. topology map, device list etc. If I go directly to the nedi server everything seems to work. I'm thinking permissions in the file system on the nedi server.

does this sound right? or is it other?

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
HI,

Have you tried with different web browsers...? as I have seen NeDi works well with Chrome and Firefox.

I hope this may help.

--Harry