Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: need help for discovery in nedi 1.4  (Read 3527 times)

campat

need help for discovery in nedi 1.4
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi Guys,

maybe someone can help me to understand what i doing wrong or what i dont have undestood.
I have some Problem since  the upgrade to nedi 1.4

- since i update to nedi 1.4 i miss many many nodes in nedi. It seems that for nedi1.4 nodes are only devices discovered as cdp devices or lldp. I miss all the devices in the arp tables of the discovered Devices.
- All this macs are now in the table nodarp. In this table i find the mac-address, the ip-address and the "arpdevice" where the macs are discovered.

Someone can explain me where in the nedi Gui i can find this mac-address? i try with notes->status and to graph them with Topology->Map.

Thx
campat

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: need help for discovery in nedi 1.4
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »
nodarp has been separated from nodes with that a single MAC can hold several IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. In order for a node to show up in the Nodes-List or Status, the mac-forward table entry of the correct switchport needs to be found. Use nedi.pl -v or -v -dd (debug DB), to find out why a particular MAC is missing...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

campat

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »
Hi Remo,

which line in the debug output you need?

I dont understand what changed between the old version of nedi and the new one. I use the same .def file from the old nedi version, but the discovery is different.
so i miss the old maps with the nodes (also mac-adress ) discovered.

Maybe you can find some time to explain what you have changed in the new nedi 1.4 version and the difference between the node-table and nodarp table. So i can better undestand what i doing wrong.

Thx
campat

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
Previous NeDi versions Used ARP tables for populating nodes. With 1.4 they're only written to nodarp and nodnd (IPv6). MAC addresses need to be found in bridge-forwarding tables (or mac-address tables) on switches for them to show up in nodes. Look at it as proper L2 and L3 separation...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

campat

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:35 AM »
thanks Remo,

now i have an example.

i have many hp MSM 310 / 320 / 330 AccessPoint not connected to a Wireless Lan Controller.
I know that i can find the mac adress from any associated client at this OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.8744.5.4.1.5.1.2 and the ip 1.3.6.1.4.1.8744.5.4.1.5.1.27  and the index is somewhere before in the tree.
How can i tell to nedi to search at this OID ?

thx

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
That'd require coding a new function, which I don't think is worth-while for those old access points...
-Remo

campat

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

but where you can do?

thx
campat

campat

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
Hi Remo,

i have the same Problem with a Cisco 1841 Router.
nedi discover with snmp the Macs and the Ip address , like the CLI command 'sh arp', but i can find them in the Nodes table only in the nodarp-Table.

nedi have access to the CLI of this router, but nedi try the command 'show mac-address-table' and dosn't work on a router.

thx
campat

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
Change OS to "IOS Router" in Defgen and try again...
-Remo