Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mixed CDP / LLDP Discovery  (Read 3258 times)

quisl

Mixed CDP / LLDP Discovery
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
Good evening,

I think I have a problem which is similar to http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=1535.0 . The forum told me to me to rather not revive an +120 days old thread.

I have a network as shown in the attached image.

The Nedi server has a direct link to a CDP compatible Cisco switch which is also the starting point of the discovery. This switch is connected to an other CDP/Cisco switch. Both switches are correcly being discovered by Nedi. There is also a HP switch connected to the Cisco switches. This HP switch is not being recognized as a device, but only as a node.

HP switches don't speak CDP so I enabled LLDP on it. I also made sure that all the switches have a pre installed .def file.

I am running nedi 1.0.9 and I set the Dispro line of the CDP switches .def to "Dispro  LLDP|CDP". It did not help.

On the old thread it helped to enter login information for the switches in the nedi.conf. It didn't help me tho. Also I'd like to use Nedi in a big network with multiple 100 switches and therefor I want to keep the amount of required maintainance as low as possible.

Is there a way to discover the whole network without using multiple discovery starting addresses?

Many thanks in advance.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Mixed CDP / LLDP Discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
If the LLDP switch learns the CDP neighbors, you could start with that. Starting with NeDi 1.4 resulting "half-links" are completed automatically. You can also discover devices with ouidev in nedi.conf. This will pick matching vendors out of the arp cache. Last but not least, discover all switches one by one (e.g. -a <ip>) and the schedule crontab with -Aall
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

quisl

Re: Mixed CDP / LLDP Discovery
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. I entered Hewlett-Packard Company in the ouidev and then put PRINTER|LaserJet in the descfilter in the nedi.conf to remove the printers. Now it works perfectly.

ps: Really awesome software, keep up the good work! :)