Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How does Nedi you determine the final location of node?  (Read 3067 times)

tristanbob

• View Profile
How does Nedi you determine the final location of node?
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »
I am curious how Nedi determines the final location of a node. 

If you only queried the MAC tables, you would see the MAC address on a lot of interfaces. 

Do you simply "rule-out" interfaces that are known to be neighbors of other network devices? 

And thus you are only left with the interface that face the end node?
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: How does Nedi you determine the final location of node?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
Yepp, watch the get started video where I explain the discovery. I've been using a whole metric-system to determine the most accurate node location. However I've completely re-factored this now. It should be much more agile and scale much better for large networks!
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
Remo, I watched this video and I understand the architecture (I should, after using Nedi for 10 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk70IJIoFGk

What I am curious about is the logic and techniques you use to determine which switchport is the one that the device is plugged into (since the MAC address will be seen on all uplink trunk ports)

Cheers!

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:36:31 AM »
Ah ok, well the obvious one is using discovery protocols to identify links. However they don't work on port channels, as they're not the physical L2 interface. If other devices MACs are seen on it, it's treated as link. Now this works for port channels as well...

I used to list nodes on vlan interfaces of ARP tables, but starting with 1.4 they're kinda hidden in the new nodarp table.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:06:22 AM »
Ok, that makes sense.  How do you handle the case where a computer is connected behind a phone?

The switchport would see 2 MAC address, and possibly an LLDP neighbor (although the device type may be excluded from being called a network device)?

Tristan

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
NeDi's aware of the neighbor class. If it's a phone the MACs will stay on the link. Starting with 1.4 the Nodes-Status even displays the phone on the link to the device. Imagine a phone icon over the link update field (sorry, don't have a proper screenshot right now):
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106414135314831644755/106414135314831644755/posts/8BZWiY3WbTq?pid=6075356360874722050&oid=106414135314831644755
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
Thanks Remo!