Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polling/Discovering IPv6 devices?  (Read 1240 times)

spiffturk

Polling/Discovering IPv6 devices?
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »
So, I see the recent versions of NeDi have support for IPv6 nodes and such, which is great.  However... Is it possible for nedi.pl to probe v6 devices the same way it probes devices via IPv4?  Our management VLAN is currently dual-stacked, but we'd like to migrate our management to be primarily v6-based.  From what I can tell, libsnmp.pm is currently rejecting the v6 address I give it without even trying:

Code: [Select]
Discovery (1.0.9-010) ./nedi.pl -v -a XXX:148:600:5:2::18  at Wed Jun 11 15:19:57 2014
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Status Todo/Done-Time
===============================================================================

Identify 2610:148:600:5:2::18 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EVNT:CL=nedn EL=1 TGT=XXX:148:600:5:2::18 MSG=Unusable IP  using ./nedi.pl -v -a XXX:148:600:5:2::18
DISC:ToDo/Done-Time    0/0-0s
===============================================================================
Nothing discovered, nothing written...
END :Took 0 minutes

I've tried various formats for the v6 address, including brackets and even snmpwalk's "udp6:[xxx:xxx:xxx]" format, but no love.  It looks like this is the code in libsnmp.pm that's rejecting it because it's trying to match on an ipv4 address:

Code: [Select]
        if($ip =~ /^$|0.0.0.0|^127/){
                &mon::Event('d',100,'nedn',$id,'',"Unusable IP $ip using $misc::ncmd" );
                &misc::Prt('',"Unusable IP\t\t\t");
                return '';

My perl-fu is weak, so I didn't want to venture down the path of changing/removing that regex until I got some sort of confirmation that it might actually work.  So I guess my question is this:  if I tweak libsnmp.pm to accept my ipv6 address... will the rest of NeDi play nice with v6 addresses, or is that a lost cause for the time being?

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Polling/Discovering IPv6 devices?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
I was hoping this question would arise in a few years ;)

Not yet, but it's definitely something I'll look at too...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo