Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keep getting Config changed messages after installing NeDio9  (Read 3696 times)

kamintech

• View Profile
Keep getting Config changed messages after installing NeDio9
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
I've installed NeDio9 and I must say that I like the new look of things. Since the installation though I noticed that every time the hourly cron job runs, I get the following config message on most of all the devices, especially wireless APs. The message reads some like "Config changed (@15631457s) 149.26 days after writing to flash". The number of days varies with device. The cron job is the default: 0 1-23 * * *   /var/nedi/nedi.pl -vp > /tmp/nedi-`date +\%H`.run 2>&1.
Is there a way to turnoff the messages?

Thanks for your help... 

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Keep getting Config changed messages after installing NeDio9
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Try saving the config on that device :)

You can turn of the email notification by editing nedi.conf to a lowercase "b" in notify.
With 1.0.9 you can also define this per device, if you add them to monitoring and set notify there.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

kamintech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
I still continue to get the Config changed messages every time the cron job runs. I've saved the config on every device and even perform a manual backup but this did not seem to make any difference. For the most part the messages stay the same but do vary a little. I turned off the email notifications so i don't receive them any more but the messages still appear in the events. The only way that I've found to stop them all together is remove the "b" option.

I've also noticed that on the NeDio 9, that it no longer post events when their is a change in the IP addresses of nodes. This is one of the features that I really liked. It helped us see unidentified nodes when they connect to the network.

Thanks...

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
What are those devices? Could you check whether lastwrite is indeed smaller than last change? Do you have any other management tools (or NeDi) setting SNMP values? BTW, you can have per target "notify" settings, within monitoring setup. You don't necessarily need to test (ping) them (set test to none).

Do you have j or J in notify?

# j/J   Changed or duplicate IP addresses on nodes

You can filter on security messages in Monitoring-Events by clicking the Sherlok hat.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

kamintech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
At first I thought that it was limited to Cisco wireless APs but after letting it run for a full day that are showing up on switches and routers as well. With NeDio8 the only time that I would get config errors were when the cron backup job ran at midnight. It would then only show any changes since the previous backup or on the devices that I do not have CLI access( I still have not found a way to have it ignore these). But with NeDio9 I get config errors on every hourly NeDi scan. This is a sample. Can your help me understand what this is saying (Config changed (@16261407s) 156.55 days after writing to flash (@2735031s))?? I'm using the default cron jobs that come with NeDi.

I'm not sure just how to check the whether the lastwrite is smaller that the last change. As for other tools, we do have another SMS tool that we have been using for several years, it only performs SNMP reads on these devices. No writes and this has been running parallel with NeDio8 with no problems.

I do have both j and J turned on but it does not show any IP changes in NeDio9 at all. I have it set the same in NeDio8 and it works correctly. With NeDio8, it logs an event everytime  an IP changes.

I must be overlooking the Sherlok hat because I do not see it at. Where would it be located?

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
First off, 1.0.8 did not have this functionality! It does not have anything to do with the config backup, but whether a running config is saved on the device or not...

There are counters in most devices showing the uptime (in timeticks), when a config was changed and was last saved to flash. NeDi uses those counters to detect config changes (on the device itself) and check whether it's saved to flash. If you run NeDi with -b or -Bx it'll only backup, if a config change is detected.

You can check those OIDs in Defgen (last 2 OIDs in the "Main" section).

As to detecting IP changes, you only need j OR J (includes j) not both. The sherlock hat is in Monitoring-Events towards the right with a bunch of other icons and is a shortcut to filter on "sec" events...
-Remo

kamintech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
Ricli,
I think that I understand what you are saying. Lets take this for example, "Degritter_AP   Config changed (@13537750s) 156.68 days after writing to flash (@1s)". So is this saying the the running config changed 156.68 days ago  after it copied to the running to startup? Does the (@13537750s) correlate to 156.68 days? If this is correct then I would need to copy the running to startup and this notification should disappear. Correct?? I mistakenly assumed that the midnight backup was in fact performing a copy of the running to startup configs but instead, NeDio is just backing up the configs to the NeDio somewhere. Correct??

I have 4 or 5 devices that I do not have CLI access to. Is there a way that I can tell NeDio to ignore these and to not try to backup?

What about NeDio9 not detecting changes to IP addresses in nodes? I've tried both j and J and even removed them, let it run for several hours and it still will not detect any IP's of nodes.  It will detect device IP changes but nothing in the node IP addresses.

Thanks...