Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NeDi 1.0.9 Beta test  (Read 21978 times)

harry

• View Profile
NeDi 1.0.9 Beta test
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »
Hi Remo,
I had working NEDI server I uploaded the beta version and had this error.

PTY :Loaded
PERL:LWP::UserAgent loaded
install_driver(MSQ) failed: Can't locate DBD/MSQ.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/libdata/perl5/site_perl/i386-openbsd /usr/libdata/perl5/site_perl/i386-openbsd /usr/local/libdata/perl5/site_perl /usr/libdata/perl5/site_perl /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.12.2 /usr/local/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd/5.12.2 /usr/libdata/perl5 /usr/local/libdata/perl5 .) at (eval 31) line 3. Perhaps the DBD::MSQ perl module hasn't been fully installed, or perhaps the capitalisation of 'MSQ' isn't right. Available drivers: DBM, ExampleP, File, Gofer, Proxy, Sponge, mysql. at /var/nedi/inc/libdb.pm line 36

Any help...? I tried to google this error and it has different solutions for installing a perl module or changing the script for Mysql to mysql.

Regards,
Harry

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: NeDi 1.0.9 Beta test
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
My bad. I did not explicitly mention that the backend in nedi.conf changed to the actual perl naming:

backend      mysql
;backend   Pg

Another step towards postgresql support...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »

Hi (again) Remo,

could you explain a little more the right syntax to use in "SNMP location" field?
For example, there are forbidden character to use in those field? (seems that round brackets aren't appreciated)
And, even if the meaning of "Region" "City" "Building" "Floor" and "Room" seems straightforward, what are the exact meanings of "Row (A-Z)", "Rack#" and "Height" ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. 1.0.8-240 seems very nice!!! I'm testing it in a test machine. A lot of new features to discover!

Edit1:
But... what is you version numbering method? if current beta is 1.0.8-240, the 1.0.8-309 is a previous version, or not?

Edit2:
The new alert management send me a warning: "Command show mac address-table | e CPU|Switch|Router|/.*, returned % Invalid input detected at '^' marker." on a Cisco 860 Router, with 15.2(4)M1 version of firmware, so not an old IOS version. In effect the command available on it to show mac address table is "show mac-address-table" and not "show mac address-table". Very strange!

I'll report you any other strange (for me) behavior of latest beta.

Paolo
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:18:36 PM by pc_sg »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
Hi, thanks for testing!

1. I guess the common denominator of characters is what all your devices support. In general I'd stick to word characters though and of course avoid whatever you use as locsep in nedi.conf. I use this: CH;Zurich;Bahnhofstrasse 4;U;Lab;Rack1;5 (it's also described here)

2. The numbering is the main version and day of year. I should have put 1.0.9-240 I guess :)

3. Failed CLI commands are report now. I noticed that on similar routers as well. So perhaps I should rename IOS-old to IOS-rtr?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »
Hi Remo,
Congratulations on new version.
Look very impressive lot of new features and still exploring..

Some bug I encountered are ...
1.For phone model 7912 it is fetching word colour instead of serial no.   also it is not grabbing the phone no.
2. Backup with SSH and TELNET.
I have  telnet and SSH in my mixed environment.
NeDi  connects the device for the first time on ssh port with first user name and password, and than falls back to Telnet with rest of the user name  and passwords. 

Regards,
Harry.

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »

Hi, thanks for testing!

1. I guess the common denominator of characters is what all your devices support. In general I'd stick to word characters though and of course avoid whatever you use as locsep in nedi.conf. I use this: CH;Zurich;Bahnhofstrasse 4;U;Lab;Rack1;5 (it's also described here)

2. The numbering is the main version and day of year. I should have put 1.0.9-240 I guess :)

3. Failed CLI commands are report now. I noticed that on similar routers as well. So perhaps I should rename IOS-old to IOS-rtr?

[/size]1. your comment in nedi.conf shows
[/size]"# Region;City;Building;Floor;Room;Row (A-Z);Rack#;Height (e.g. 40-41)"
[/size]these are 8 fields. And are quite different from the page you indicate.
[/size]I use something like this (in italian, but should be easily understandable):
[/size]IT;Roma;Edificio Principale;Piano 1;Area tecnica (locale dedicato);Rack 12;38;42
[/size]In this case I supposed 38 is the position inside the rack, and 42 the rack size (both in RU)

[/size]I have different size racks, so I also supposed that with a rack 15 RU high and a device in position 12, I should use 12;42 as 7th and 8th fields.
[/size]Anyway, if I use round (or square) brackets in some fields, in the Topology table where I can see the rack layout, no rack layout is build...
[/size]So, the question about the characters that you can handle in NeDi.
[/size]2. ;)
3. I don't know. Maybe that the best way? Or a more sophisticated algorithm that recognize the error and try another syntax? ... the latter may be too complicated ...

In the meanwhile, I've lowercased the D in "notify", to avoid plethora of alerts.
Another anomaly: even if I change supply-alert from default 5 to 1, the "available access port are below threshod of 5" is sent. Very strange...

Let us know which part of latest beta you like we test!

Paolo
[/size]

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
@Harry, tx
1. Can you mail the index.html?
2. Is it supposed to stay with SSH and use a credential after the 1st one?

@pc
You're right, the comment in nedi.conf is in-line now. It's just floor;room;rack;height in rack. The height of the device itself is set in the .def.

I'd only use the number for the floors or sorting has a problem (I generally use U for underground floors). Racks are as tall as the top device requires them to be. I'm considering adding patch panels and who knows...maybe cable management?

Is this device monitored? If so, you need to change "supply" alert in Monitoring-Setup now, as thresholds can be set per device now! The nedi.conf setting serve as policy for new and unmonitored devices...

@ALL: you may have noticed the filters, which allow up to four criterions. I've added some common searches as templates to Devices- and Node-List (as you may know from Monitoring-Events). Post your most often used filters here and I'll add most favorite ones as templates. Of course this can also be useful on other list modules...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:17:29 PM by rickli »
-Remo

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply Remo,

please find attached HTML.(renamed as text)
Regards,

Harry

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
@pc
You're right, the comment in nedi.conf is in-line now. It's just floor;room;rack;height in rack. The height of the device itself is set in the .def.

I'd only use the number for the floors or sorting has a problem (I generally use U for underground floors). Racks are as tall as the top device requires them to be. I'm considering adding patch panels and who knows...maybe cable management?

Is this device monitored? If so, you need to change "supply" alert in Monitoring-Setup now, as thresholds can be set per device now! The nedi.conf setting serve as policy for new and unmonitored devices...
OK. But could you be more specific on the meaning of every filelds, and about right contents to put in the field itself?
Particularly on characters that may mess field recognition.
And, are them exactly 8 fields ?

A can confirm you that, at least on field "Room", that I use for the location inside the building (not always a room, sometimes racks are in strange places...), both round o square brackets seems to force skips of handling of the "rack height" parameter. In this case no rack view is build. Don't understand why...

Anyway, in my mind the full rack height should be declared somewhere, not calculated from the highest rack position device.
Based on best practices of many companies, we usually put F.O. patch panel on top, going down possible cable management, then hottest devices (UPS, RPS), then switches, and so on (net patch panel, telephony patch panel, etc).
So the real phisical rack height (that may also be non standard) should be defined (somewhere).

Anyway, possibility to put in "Show room" map also other rack object may be very, very nice!!!

TIA

Edit:
I've modified libcli-iopty.pm copying all IOS lines as IOS-rtr (and not renamed IOS-old), then I've modified only the MAC line (using the IOS-old version), then modified 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.834.def changing IOS as IOS-rtr, and now seems OK. I don't know if something other may be messed, but I don't receive more alerts...

Edit2:
Liitle glitch in hover text in page Device Status (syringe). Look at attachment.

Paolo
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:40:32 PM by pc_sg »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks for your quick feedback guys!

@Harry, thanks I fixed it now...

@pc, problem is the string is used as regexp. If you have special characters like brackets it starts to do weird things. I've changed the whole thing to use "like", so this should not be a problem anymore.

If You want to define each rack height, you need to edit and store this information. I'd rather just edit things that can change. So, if you can add patchpanels some day, you can put them on the top...

What would you like to see besides racks? Tables, bathtubs a bar? ;)

Glitch will be fixed...

-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »

@pc, problem is the string is used as regexp. If you have special characters like brackets it starts to do weird things. I've changed the whole thing to use "like", so this should not be a problem anymore.

If You want to define each rack height, you need to edit and store this information. I'd rather just edit things that can change. So, if you can add patchpanels some day, you can put them on the top...

What would you like to see besides racks? Tables, bathtubs a bar?

OK. If you give us the new code, I'll try it immediately.
About the rack height, we can still use SNMP location data, in an additional field. If a conflict of size happen (more then a switch in a rack but some have wrong size), the tallest win, until all size are the same.

Beside racks? I think the currently superimposed clickable icons over switch panels images. If I use the "true" (very nice) panels images (the ones we can put in /var/nedi/html/img/panel/ folder), these added icons mess the wonderful effect.
But there is plenty of space on right side, have fun!

P.S. I suppose you have still no solution about switch stack (like 3750).
Do you like this idea? You may do two thing: permit to put the rack position on modules (default the SNMP location extracted), and use the modules full part number (i.e. WS-C3750G-12S-S)  to choose the right panel.

Always, TIA!!!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »
Beta successor will follow soon. No I haven't made any further progress on stack members yet. BTW, the clickable icons won't show in the print form...
-Remo

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »
Hi Remo,
what is "Discover Obsolete" in DeviceStatus....?

Some of my snmp Switch are reporting that and can't use the device write on them.

Re
Harry

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
It's last discover timestamp is older than rrdstep...
-Remo

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:45 AM »
Hi Remo,
I set RRD time and discovery time to 90 min from 60 min.

Now I am getting most of te devices with the message "Discover Obsolete".

Due to this I am not able to disable or enable ports through Device status, Also I could not use device write on those devices.

Is this a Bug or Configuration issue at my end...?

RE
Harry.