Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Would you use a central repository for definition files?

No, I'm maintaining my own definitions.
Yes, I would use it and share my definitions.
Yes, I would just use it stay up to date.

Author Topic: centralized online definition repository  (Read 3853 times)

dobst

• View Profile
centralized online definition repository
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
I wonder whether it would be possible and makes sense to maintain definition files online in a repository. Wouldn't it be nice if you could perform an update for your definition files to keep up with the latest and provide new ones to the repository?

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
Re: centralized online definition repository
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »
Now that sounds like a good idea.
But some of the def files in the release have incorrect values for Serial number (they show devname instead) and other bits.

Also I guess some people may use them differently.
Like not want all the switch modules, or need extra switch modules to show up in the GUI.

Al

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
I agree it's a good idea! As another comment on this topic, wonder if it's possible to have a "custom" directory or something in the sysobj directory with def files that used in preference to the ones in the distribution? Otherwise I have to note down where I've customised the def file and copy it from the old one to the new install each time. A single folder of customised def files would make this a bit easier. Cheers Al

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »
This is a terrific idea!  I have been thinking about this and perhaps as a baby step I am going to post the list of devices found in "sysobj" def files.

Long term, I like the idea of a command (perhaps a cron job) that can update Def files so your Nedi install always supports the most gear.

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
great idea indeed! are we talking about an actual cvs or something else?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

dobst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
Mh, I don't know which is the best way to implement this. But cvs seems to be a good idea.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
It is, on the other hand not everynoe would be able to use it?!? Does any useful cloud approach exist? :)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

dobst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
I think the feature shoud be put to the web gui or at least as cli command to nedi.pl. What we need is a admin triggered two way synchronization with versioning of files and the possibilty for the admin to decide which files to download from and which to share to the cloud (=ftp?). It should be possible to keep your own local definitions.

I wonder how to solve the problem if multiple admins share various versions of the same definition...

pc_sg

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:58:40 AM »
In our case, we have only a HTTP proxied internet access, and some dowloads are filtered by Astaro (so not directly, but through a secondary web interface).
So, accessing an external repository (or a CVS) is almost impossible.
I could obtain an exception for something close to an Linux distribution repository (e.g. Debian or Ubuntu).
Anyway, if the DEF version management is handled locally, I can download periodically any update, or upload any new DEF we have made.

Hope I've understood your mind  ::)

Paolo

Zeysh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
Maybe using git/Gitlab for def files will do the job?