Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New idea - configuration backup indication (with date?)  (Read 4137 times)

michieltimmers

New idea - configuration backup indication (with date?)
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
Hi,

For our configurations backup's Nedi is very important. The little screwdrivers icon in the CLI row is a must for us. Unfortunately it sometimes happens that this icon is missing because of a configuration mistake on the devices, devices in our network our very dynamic, our the backup's are not recent because of a configuration mistake that was made on the device after some time. Sometimes clearing the backup and let nedi rediscover solves this, but with over 300 devices in our installation this is not a workable solution.

What I would really much like to see is a extra condition in the device page overview called "backup configuration" which can have a value of yes or no. That way I can have an very quick overview of devices that needs attention. I think this would make a great addition to Nedi.
What would be even more appreciated is something like "Last Discover" column but then called "Last config backup" which has a date and time when Nedi made the last backup of the device and turns red if its a few days old. But not sure if Nedi keeps track of dates in regards of configuration backups.

Would one of these two addition be possible to implement? Would also like to hear from other people if they would like such an option or share ideas about this.

Regards,
Michiel

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: New idea - configuration backup indication (with date?)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
Basically yes, it would certainly be possible! But did you check out those two things:

• Configuration in Reports-Devices (showing "unbackuped" CLI devices)
  • Look at Devices-Configuration and limit config excerpts to 10 for better visibility. Then sort the list by update

Would it make sense to make Devices-Config list and filter all devices and simply show empty boxes, if no config (or changes) are available?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

michieltimmers

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »
  • Configuration in Reports-Devices (showing "unbackuped" CLI devices)
  • Look at Devices-Configuration and limit config excerpts to 10 for better visibility. Then sort the list by update

Oke, that helps a bit. It shows a least the devices in a quick overview. But still prefer to have it in normal Devices list.

Would it make sense to make Devices-Config list and filter all devices and simply show empty boxes, if no config (or changes) are available?

I guess so, important thing is to have it also show that a config isn't backup correctly (so that nedi has on old config).

michieltimmers

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
unfortunately not all devices are show up in "CLI Devices Without Configuration" under reports that have the config missing. Can you make it in the normal Device overview as an extra column? 

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
I'll look into it. But if a device is not showing as CLI-device, you should retest CLI access...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

michieltimmers

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »
Hi, any update on this? Would really like this to be in the NeDi overview.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
check out device-list in the rc. I've also posted some info on Google+
-Remo

michieltimmers

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
Great! thank you very much for implementing this!!! We have it installed the new version since last week and this weekend I took a closer look at the various light bulb. Got two questions.

1.  In the attached picture the light bulb is off, saying "Backup None". There is however a Device-Config icon. Can you explain that?
2. I have some devices with backup config "Obsolete" (yellow light bulb). What behavior triggers such a state?

Michiel

michieltimmers

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
Hi,

Could you comment on my questions? I'm particular interested in the first one regarding the backup, could this be a bug?

Michiel

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
I don't actually check, whether a config exists. So, if you upgrade that status will not be accurate until you actually do a backup. It should then become A(ctive) or U(nknown), if config change timestamp cannot be read from the device (e.g. ProCurve).

If that config change timestamp changes after the backup (device has been configured via cli or snmp), it becomes obsolete as there's a newer version on the device now. NeDi will back it up the next time you run -b or -Bx and skip those which are still active.

Last but not least if the config write timestamp (uptime of writing the config to flash) is smaller than the config change timestamp, the 2nd bulb turns orange.

This allows for quick overview in Devices-List: showing 2 green bulbs and AW (active and written OK) -> everything's peachy
-Remo