Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two Cisco 3550 are discovered as new device every discovery  (Read 2321 times)

pc_sg

Two Cisco 3550 are discovered as new device every discovery
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
Hi Remo,
I've already reported this "issue".

I've two Cisco 3550 that are discovered by NeDi 1.0.8 - 027 as new device every discovery.
As you can see in attached snapshot, the first and last date and time are the same, and every time is the same situation, same first and last.

Is the only case I have, I don't understand how NeDi understande if a device is new or not.

Until today, I've suspended at all mail alerting (my "notify" string was "abdeflmnopstiw") and now I need to receive off/on/reboot alert again, and now is "abDeflmnopstiw".
But receive a false "NeDi Discovery Alerts" every discovery (every 15 minutes...) and is not nice.

Can you suggest me a way to debug this situation?
There is any way to gather information needed to understand why?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. after a device is discovered, the "mapip" to 0.0.0.0 trick don't take effect.

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Two Cisco 3550 are discovered as new device every discovery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
Did you configure a mapna by any chance? Can you post the first lines like:

Identify seedl0 -------------------------------------------------------
SNMP:Connect 10.10.10.1 public v2 Tout:2s MaxMS:1472
IDNT:Name = charon
SOBJ:Reading 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.250.255.def
SYS :Con=Remo Loc=CH;Weiach;Home;U;Lab;A1;20
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

pc_sg

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
See PM.

:)

Paolo

pc_sg

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »
Sorry to all!

Unraveled the mystery.

I use a complicated command line to fragment (a kind of multithreading) discoveries from site to site, as suggested me Steffen time ago.
This syntax use the A switch and a regexp on device OR location string to limit discovery, because every site is CDP isolated (by FW/Routers).

Now we have a new "site" that is F.O. connected to another site (300 mt of distance), so it's a kind of "dependance", but is accounted as a different one, so different device and location sting key...
Now I've added the missink keys, and now a new discovery doesn't generate an alarm.

I hope that in  future a better multithreading way will be implemented in NeDi, so large multisite WAN environment will be discoverable in less time (Now I'm able to scan every 15 minutes, but with this trick).

Sorry again...

Paolo