Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Provisioned" devices  (Read 3336 times)

pc_sg

• View Profile
"Provisioned" devices
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
Hi to all (particularly Remo),
today, due to a blackout (snowing ?), a switch in a 3750 stack has failed.
In NeDi it becomes "provisioned", but the other parameters (i.e. detected part number, serial number and other info, useful to open a repair case) are no more available.

There is (or there will be) a way to build an "asset" database, with this kind of info included, also for "unavailable" devices?

Thanks in advance for any attention!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: "Provisioned" devices
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
Snowing? It's snowing up here too :)

SN should not just disappear, but it can be overwritten if a device reports bogus information. At least you should get an event notifying about the changed SN. Alternatively you could create a snapshot of the DB or save an Inventory-Report as pdf (or even export Devices-List to Excel) to be safe...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Hi Remo,
I'm in Italy, Lombardy. Not snowing right now... Yesterday some cities arount my company plant had a full blackout (half an hour, but enough to exhaust all ours UPS).
So, at power return there was a supply transient (those UPS are scarce) and some switches fails.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but in Mudunes report, Inventory the faulted switch is provisioned, no SN.
Look at attached snapshot.

The device list is not enough, dont't forget how NeDi take care of 3750 stacks ad a single device.

I think that "inventory" shoud be a incremental table, with all devices and modules discovered, editable to correct some fields, and to delete substituted (replaced) devices or else.

Don't you agree?

Thanks anyway!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »
Interesting, but it seems that's something to be solved by a TAC case :) I agree with you, the Devices-List won't provide enough information, but print Modules-List or this inventory report into a pdf or create a snapshot of the DB on a regular basis would help staying on top of it...

Ah Lombardy, nice! Went to lake Garda last year, very beautiful and great pizza :D
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
1) of course!
2) sorry, just checked, but none of these ways still maintain the "provisioned" switch SN. And is not easy (for me) to do snapshots of databases and use them. I still think that the inventory (that now is a sum of different tables) should be incremental, I mean that any different "object" found (that ones with a S/N, or if you think so, a P/N) must remain recorded forever, unless intentionally removed. Any overlap should be handled keeping the oldest object as a stock or something other. But is a personal thought, of course !!!
3) thanks! I'm near Milan, I know Garda lake a little, but I think you can eat a better Pizza at or near Naples. Is not a clichè, more southward in Italy you go, better pizza quality you can find. And not only pizza!!! Anyway, every place in Italy have a deli that worth a trip!  :P ::) ;)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Snapshots are very easily taken and switched around with Services-Snapshot :) Just make sure it's listed in nedi.conf...
Click on the radar icon in Monitoring-Events. Do you see any SN change in there?
BTW, at least for single devices, you can add them easily to the stock table by clicking on the package icon in Devices-Status...

And yes, I have to travel further south, next time I'm in Italy :D
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
1) OK.
2) no SN change, device is gone for service and there is a dummy switch to embank (not in stack, not compatible).
3) I should add all devices to stock to have a full inventory. Anyway a 3750 stack is a logical single device, so only a single SN is stocked, not all modules (in which also stack members are recorded).
A detailed inventory may be a very useful function. I suppose all net admin must do an asset from time to time...

Have a good jurney in Italy!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »
Just so you know, Devices-Stock was designed for adding every new piece of HW with a bar code scanner prior installation. If it's discovered later on, the stock entry will be updated with device name etc. You should try it...
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Yes, is really interesting!
Rather simple way to add a brand new device just bought.

I've not a barcode reader, neither standalone or network/PC integrated (else, how can I easily insert infos except manyually?)
The other possibility is to use my (personal and private) Android smartphone. Ma be a "gift" to my company...
But I should try a way to easly transfer captured data from smartphone to PC (or better directly to NeDi).

Anyway, how can I bulk add my already discovered device to stock ? I know is an old question I've previously asked...

Remo, please, don't be bored by me!!!  ;D

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
I thought about the Smartphone way and I guess it would be great, but I haven't had the time to actually do something...

I'll keep the bulk add in mind as well, but if someone comes up with a script it would be great too :)
-Remo