Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discovery using SNMP  (Read 3319 times)

talthing

Discovery using SNMP
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:09:21 AM »
Nedi ver 1.0.7
host ip address 10.24.167.25  (configured gateway address 10.24.167.4)

I'm attempting to discover devices on 1 subnet    (no seedlist - so nedi discovers via gateway)

exerpts from nedi.conf
netfilter 10.24.167      (keep to subnet)
snmp timeout = 60
usepoe = ifmib
skipif = w

Symptom - Nedi device list is only showing the gateway switch.  The node list shows all of the other switches.  I cannot figure out why the other switches aren't showing up in the devicelist.

***********exerpt from Nedi discover log***********************
PTY :Not available LWP :Loaded OUI :19777 NIC vendor entries read RDEV:11 devices read from nedi.devices RADDR:450 MAC & 48 IP addresses read. RLNK:0 links (WHERE linktype = "STAT") read from nedi.links RUSR:0 entries (groups & 8 AND (phone != "" OR email != "")) read from nedi.users SEED:Using /usr/local/nagios/share/nedi/seedlist SEED:No seeds, trying default gw! MAIN:1 thread, 1st from Thu Jan 3 15:31:05 2013 seems ok adding this one UPDT:system SET value=value+1 WHERE name="threads" OUI-Route-Discovery (1.0.7) with 1 seed at Thu Jan 3 15:54:15 2013 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Device Status Todo/Done-Time =============================================================================== Discover ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Identify ------------------------------------------------------------------ SNMP:Connect 10.24.167.4 (comm string) v2 Tout:60s MaxMS:1472 IDNT:Name = oak-core-stk-2f.samuelmerritt.edu   ------------------------------------------------------------------ SNMP:Connect 10.24.167.4 (comm string) v2 Tout:65s MaxMS:4095 Modules ------------------------------------------------------------------ SNMP:Connect 10.24.167.4 (comm string) v2 Tout:60s (suppressed)
cal or unusable ROUT:Queueing 10.1.1.2: is local or unusable ROUT:Queueing 10.1.1.3: already done BridgeFwd (SNMP) -------------------------------------------------------------- SNMP:Connect 10.24.167.4 (comm string)@11 v2 Tout:68s MaxMS:1472 FWDS:Walking BridgeFwd Can't call method "get_table" on an undefined value at /usr/local/nagios/share/nedi/inc/libsnmp.pm line 1942.

Our current production monitoring system (ORION) can see all of the switches ...so I know SNMP is configured correctly on the switches in question

Please help

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:30:27 AM by talthing »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Discovery using SNMP
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Do you use route and oui intentionally? Try -p instead of -ro. Additionally the default router needs to have a .def file. This is usually the case, if it doesn't show a generic (gray) icon. Follow the Defgen tutorial on youtube, if you need to define it...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

talthing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
Hi Richli,

yes, I'm using -ro intentionally, my boss wants me to discover via SNMP instead of CDP.  I have not done defgen and added the router, so thank you for that bit of advice....

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
Ah ok, in that case you have a couple of options:

1. You can try -a 10.24.167  for the first discovery. Then in crontab use -A all to just rediscover all devices in the DB. You'd then have to add any new device manually.

2. Have a look at the devices listed as nodes. Add the vendor column and use that string in nedi.conf as ouidev. Then simply discover with -o using that router as seed (you need a source for the MAC addresses).
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo