Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposal for a bit further update in NeDi handling of "location" field  (Read 3331 times)

pc_sg

• View Profile
Hi Remo.

Looking at you film  :P "Defgen Tutorial" I've discovered the nice visual Rack diplay of switches position.

Bliss!!!

But I've some (little) troubles to use this feature perfectly, because the existance of the marvellous Cisco 3750 switches, that if stacked operates as a single switch.
I see that you handle the number of switches in that stack, but is not usual to keep this switches tightly fitted, but is better to separe them at least by one or more Cable Manager.
And also, sometimes is needed to keep one or more of them higly separed (so exist stack cable up to 3 metres!).
Now (1.0.8 b309) the Location field is formated as follows:
# Region;City;Building;Floor;Room;Row (A-Z);Rack#;Height (e.g. 40-41)
Rack# is the rack position in rack unit, and Height il the Rack height (of course)
I've been thinking about exchanging Height and Rack#, ad record every switch position adding relevant position, i.e. ";42;36;38;40" for a stack of three 3570, the #1 at 36 RU position, the #2 in 38 and #3 in 40. Of course they may be out of order...
Another really nice thing is the posibility to use a real image of switch front panel.
But in a 3570 stack every device could be of a different version (3570 12, 16, 24 or 48 port, 3570E that have a different F.O. slot, and so on)
You choose the image based on the description field, that for 3570 is alway "WS-C3750". But in modules every switch in the stack is perfectly identified.
Could you use this info instead?

... a lot of thing, is't it?

TIA!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Proposal for a bit further update in NeDi handling of "location" field
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
Tx for your input. I've been thinking about those very topics as well. This is the 1st version and adding the functionality you mention is rather complex. Even more so, if we want to support all networking vendors. HP Switches support IRF for example, which can stack with regular 10Gb interfaces. The switches can be in different cities, if you want! To identify the panel, based on modules could be easier, if the naming matches exactly...feel free to add examples. And of course anyone with good ideas is welcome in this thread :)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
Hi Remo,
I think that beginning with managing Cisco switches stacks is a good start point.

I show you one example: in a site, I've a stack of three different model of 3750, in 4 devices.
In NeDi is shown as first attachment.

The "modules" situation is in second attachment.

Due to logistic needs, they aren't one close to the other...

I've no other ideas on how to put the single device rack position info in a stack, if not in the previously explained way.

In the meanwhile, in "User Profile", "Format" there are only three changeable format size, one for "Events, Vlans, Modules etc.", one for "Columns", and one for "Name Size".
In our context, in some sites,  we have much more then 31 VLAN active (we use deeply segmented LANs), and the Alias field is almost always truncated (we also use intensively the "description" field to remark ports o vlans meanings and configuration).
I know is anly a "cosmetic" situation... don't be worried !!!  ;)
There are other much more important thing to do before :)

Paolo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
Hi again, Remo, another bothering...

In one's spare time I'm updating switch SNMP location field, following your new standard.

I've some net rack not in the standard 42U height (but smaller).
So, in a case of a 15 U rack, I've changed last two params in location record (field 7 and 8) with rack device position (13) and rack size (15).
May depend by a misunderstanding in the format interpretation, but in the Topology Table "rack map" NeDi still shows the rack as a 42 U.

The code that build the image is too complicated for me to debug it... sorry!

Please, forgive me!!!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
Tx, for the images. Not sure this will make it into 108, but I'll definitely look into it...

As to the racks, I've been thinking about adding the options to Loced, which could be used to specify rack size and color, etc.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo