Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hourly Notices  (Read 3521 times)

clakomy

• View Profile
Hourly Notices
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
Remo,
     As usual, I can only say good things about NeDi and how well it works to help us manage our Cisco infrastructure. As a possible feature, is there a possibility that NeDi can email admins to report an issue at a regular frequency until the issue is acknowledged or resolved? We receive hundreds of emails on a daily basis and sometimes NeDi emails get lost in the shuffle. This is generally not a big issue during the week as the NeDi GUI makes it easy to see what's up and what's down. But on the weekends however, it is kind of hard to check a GUI when your focus is on family. I think a "nag" email from NeDi every hour or so would certainly get your attention that something is wrong and had not been addressed. I've looked around the interface to find such a function, but have not found anything.

Thank you for your consideration,
-Carlos Lakomy

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: Hourly Notices
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Can you be more specific as to what you'd like to get nagged about? (strange wording)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

clakomy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
By nagging I mean that it would be great if NeDi could send an email about an active issue until it is resolved. Is that possible in the current version?

Also, the "forward" feature in monitoring is pretty cool. If I want to add multiple forwarding (such as SPANTREE and Error Disable) how do I separate them. I tried adding them individually, but they overwrite each other. I type in SPANTREE and click on Update and then I type Error Disable and SPANTREE is overwritten.

Thanks,
-C

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
Understood. Can you tell me what kind of issues? BTW, my comment about the wording was referring to my own sentence, not your notion of nagging :)

Try regexps: Error Disable|SPANTREE
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

clakomy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the regexps tip, it worked perfectly!

Anyway, about this "nagging" saga (got your joke).. Let's say that a switch goes down @ 1am and NeDi sends out an email to my network admins. In our case, that email will have been burried by a lot of emails that each admin has to go through. So, it would be great if NeDi could send a reminder email every hour or so (again you choose the frequency) reminding the admin(s) that the issue still exists. There is a similar function in another tool that we use on the server side call Zenoss. With that tool, you can program how often to receive a reminder email until the issue is either closed or acknowledged by an admin.

Regards,
-C

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
But with issue, you mean a device not answering anymore or something else? I ask because this makes a big difference due to NeDi's architecture...
-Remo

clakomy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
By issue I mean a device going down and not responding to ICMP.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
ok, got it now  :D So far a nagging event is shown every 10th time where there's no response. This could be extended to send mails as well. I'll put it on the list...
-Remo

clakomy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Thank you.

clakomy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
One more suggestion. When discovering new devices, it is often difficult to determine which ones are being monitored and which are not. It would be great to have a "being monitored" column in the Device page so that you can see the ones not being monitored and activate them. The way I am doing it now is by using "First Seen" and searching in that order to find the most recent additions and then adding them to monitoring. Needless to say, during the busiest season of the year for us, we are adding switches and APs at almost 3 to 4 a day. I tried doing a Monitor all from the Device page, but it over-writes certain individual device settings.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
It does? What exactly did you notice? In case a device is monitored already you should get a red-cross instead the checkmark...

I'm considering an adding to monitoring option for the discovery. If you use properly formatted location strings, you'll see partial green locations, which indicate that not all devices in there are monitored...
-Remo